The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Webdav? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be nice to embed a minimal webdav server into OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofcolor View Post
I got it working on a by following the steps in this post (see Post #5)

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=80054

I also used this

http://www.apluskb.com/scripts/How_d...nswer2165.html

to create the .htpasswd file that the first link requires. To connect, I just put the url http://myipaddress/ical (which is the folder the first link tells you to create, name it whatever). And then that same address into the iPhone app, and it worked perfectly.
Thanks for the help! I have the webDav setup, when I go to http://myipaddress/ical I get an index of /ical page which looks good. But OF gives me an error when I try to sync using webdav: The server returned an error 405, "method not allowed". where in OF do you put this address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidtreo View Post
for a system to be trusted it must be rock solid. Not wanting to rely ok apples servers to sync my phone & computer is TOTALLY reasonable - @ I am very dissapointed that OG has been so short sighted regarding this. If I couldn't sync every time .mac has gone down in the past I would not be able to use OF period.
We cannot do wired sync. It's not possible; only iTunes has access. WebDAV, either to MobileMe or some other provider, is the only option that we had available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
I am, for one, totally fu**cking lost.

$20 later, I'm scrambling all over the interwebs trying to get my OF database onto my iPhone with absolutely _no_ clue what is going on.
Please email omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com so one of our support ninjas can help you get things going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
Thanks for the help! I have the webDav setup, when I go to http://myipaddress/ical I get an index of /ical page which looks good. But OF gives me an error when I try to sync using webdav: The server returned an error 405, "method not allowed". where in OF do you put this address?
This is where I put it

Try publishing your iCal calendar to that address as well to make sure things are working. I got the same error you stated when I renamed the folder and changed the addresses from /ical to /WebDav. To get it working again, I had to run the terminal commands the guy lists at the bottom of Post #5 in the first link I posted, I guess to restart apache. Did you run those last three commands?

Last edited by alackofcolor; 2008-07-10 at 04:43 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We cannot do wired sync. It's not possible; only iTunes has access. WebDAV, either to MobileMe or some other provider, is the only option that we had available.
I think webdav is a good bet. It will be the easiest if MobileMe works out, but it was certainly not your only option.

Is embedding a server really that hard? It may be. I'm not the one responsible for this.

Frankly, Apple should provide access to sync services, but now every developer who wants to sync with a desktop has to reinvent the wheel. :(

I'm still not any clearer on why OF (Mac) is syncing to my WebDAV server -- no errors -- but is just leaving empty directories there. As of now there are 10 on the day:
Code:
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-bHuqa7MtNL5/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-bT76XIdVwDi/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-bawGH9pYmaX/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-cU_76AFGciF/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-cpub0nfW3er/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-dJBBS45gKal/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-dVWU7otQ4fB/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-fajT7ISdInm/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-fdD9uAVEdl8/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-odptvmCdXJN/
Others seem to have had the same experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jginsbu View Post
I'm still not any clearer on why OF (Mac) is syncing to my WebDAV server -- no errors -- but is just leaving empty directories there.
Others seem to have had the same experience.
If you carefully watch OmniFocus on your Mac as it "syncs" to WebDAV, you should notice that the progress bar never fills--it just stays empty, until OmniFocus decides that it's successfully synced. Contrast this to doing a sync to disk, and you'll see that even fast syncs fill the progress bar.

For some reason, OmniFocus just isn't finishing its WebDAV syncs. I tried copying a disk-synced file to a WebDAV server, and the iPhone app sees the database, but no data shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcg View Post
Yes, Bingodisk does it for me
I'll triple that, got sick of waiting for MobileMe/iDisk to come back to life, and signed up for a $19/year for 10GB of storage at Bingodisk.com and was up and running with Omnifocus between two Macs and an iPhone in a couple minutes.

Thanks, I got my own hosted WebDAV working! I used the previously mentioned forum link with the post #5 directions. My troubles were remedied with the following command
"Apple changed the Apache installed in Leopard from 1.x to 2.x. This breaks stuff horribly as the config files are a bit different and you can't simply copy your old one over to the new /etc/apache2/ directory. I used bbedit to diff the two files and merge some stuff, but was still unable to get aliases outside the document root working. Then I came across a hint that suggests a simple fix:
"You will find a Deny from all under <Directory /> (line 177 or alike). Change it to Allow from all."

This fixed the permission errors I was getting for stuff like phpMyAdmin and my iTunes folder which I can access remotely once again.
/cheer"

Now I'll just wait for the ipod touch software update, I can't wait to test this out!!:)