The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SP 17 faster than beta 1 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Scrolling down large pages was a lot faster and smoother in SP 17 (599) than it is in beta 1! Beta 1 seems to be as "slow" as 5.1.3 is; SP 17 was faster than Safari on my old Mac (450 MHz PPC, 320 MB RAM; OS X 10.4.7).

PS: I don't like the unified toolbar look. (Elements of toolbars and elements of window control bars have very different functions and need to be clearly separated.)

I agree about the speed issue. I don't have any "lab test benchmarks" but casual observation and use of SP17 and beta1 leads me to the conclusion that something changed and now makes v5.5 beta a lot slower.

I hope this is rectified before the final release.

I don't know, beta 1 is like lightning here.

And I love the unified toolbar. It's likely this is the way most apps will look soon.

I guess you need a slow Mac to experience the difference. When I use beta 1 on a MacBook Pro, I can't imagine scrolling could be faster or smoother.

Well, the speed is back. Beta 1 is performing as fast as SP17 did and I have a guess as to why. When updating browsers it's not uncommon for the update protocol to dump the cache of the earlier version. When you use the new version the cache has to be reestablished and until it is it'll seem as if the browser is slower. Once the cache is reestablished previously visited pages will load significantly faster.

I'm not privy to the inner workings of OmniWeb so I won't say this is what happened to me, but it's a possibility.

By the way, I have a fairly slow iMac G4 powered with a 800mhz chip and 512RAM. I've got my fingers crossed that Santa will come through for me this year with a new iMac.

[JKT:] Jerky scrolling in Safari 2.0.4 seems to have nothing to do with this issue, "it only is a Safari-problem" (equinox on the MacNN thread you referred to).

[rserkes:] SP 17 was fast the first time I used it, and beta 1 is still slow after using it for a while. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120
[JKT:] Jerky scrolling in Safari 2.0.4 seems to have nothing to do with this issue, "it only is a Safari-problem" (equinox on the MacNN thread you referred to).
From that thread:
Because I experience the same thing in Shiira with 10.4.7

And "equinox" also said i think this is not only a safari problem. it seems, that it is a system wide problem since 10.4.7.

There's also no definitive answer in that thread.

I got lots of other quirks with 10.4.7, but this ain't one of them.

What I did do a while back is I deleted my OW preferences and reverted to default values for fonts and turned off ColorSync.

I also dashed cocoagestures, and I turned off any plugins/input managers that had nothing to do with web browsing. (For example, the Chax collection of iChat enhancements showed up in OW plugins.)

Now everything is flying, and scrolling is now just sweet, even with my Logitech Bluetooth mouse.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
From that thread:
Because I experience the same thing in Shiira with 10.4.7

And "equinox" also said i think this is not only a safari problem. it seems, that it is a system wide problem since 10.4.7.

There's also no definitive answer in that thread.
[Forrest:] What you quote is a part of equinox' first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox at MacNN on 06-30-2006, 01:15 AM

I got the same problem but only with the two-finger touchpad scrolling! the sidetrack scrolling seems ok! i think this is not only a safari problem. it seems, that it is a system wide problem since 10.4.7. is this problem somehow related to the problem with the 10.4.7 delta upate and the missing opengl files?
[Last edited by equinox: 06-30-2006 at 01:32 AM.]
You should have read also what he wrote two days later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox at MacNN on 07-01-2006, 11:44 AM

In Shiira everything seems normal. No problems. Do you have found a solution for this? i reinstalled the 10.4.7 combo-update but this did not solve anything. this bug(?) is really annoying and i wonder why all the others don't have this problem. Didn't they notice it or do they simply not have this problem?
If this really was a problem of 10.4.7, it couldn't be solved by using Safari 2.0.3 instead of 2.0.4, I guess. (Of course, if someone would run Safari 2.0.4 on 10.4.6 (if that's possible), we'd know for sure if it's a Safari issue or not.)
Anyway, I used SP 17 on 10.4.7, and I use beta 1 on 10.4.7; and beta 1 is as slow as 5.1.3 while SP 17 was a lot faster. But maybe that's a problem of my configuration. Or maybe you guys have too fast Macs to experience the difference.