The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

how to handle coupons and events? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Okay, I get a ton of coupons I'd like to use and flyers for events that I might want to go to. These are two annoying sources of paper and mental clutter in my life, and the frequency with which I realize that oops, I don't have that coupon with me (I refuse to tote around a large file of these in my handbag!), or oops, that expired, or oops, I forgot I had a coupon for that store I just went to, or oops, I forgot that I was thinking about going to that concert, or whatever, is enormous.

The whole paper-tickler file is such a non-starter for me (too much everyday work, I slip up one day and freak out and never get back to it) -- I would rather have something much simpler, like a single paper file of coupons and electronic reminders to get things out of it when needed, and a electronic list of events and reminders to decide whether to go.

I am reluctant to put these things on a calendar directly, partially because they are often not associated with a specific date (I don't want a reminder on the day something expires, nor do I want a calendar item for every day the museum show is open), and partly because of screen and attentional real estate (I use the PDA for 99.9% of my calendar checks and entries, and I don't want a large pile of daily events or reminders of future events) I'd really want this stuff to show up, say, in a weekly review.

But I'm stuck trying to figure out whether this stuff belongs in OmniFocus as tasks (perhaps as a separate context of Coupons+ and Events+, or perhaps part of a Tickled project folder?), or as a separate OmniOutliner checklist (I keep a running outline of "interesting reference stuff I might want to check out at some point, things that don't even rise to the level of a "someday/maybe+"), or what. I'm quite confused on this...

--Aimee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
But I'm stuck trying to figure out whether this stuff belongs in OmniFocus as tasks (perhaps as a separate context of Coupons+ and Events+, or perhaps part of a Tickled project folder?), or as a separate OmniOutliner checklist (I keep a running outline of "interesting reference stuff I might want to check out at some point, things that don't even rise to the level of a "someday/maybe+"), or what.
For coupons other than grocery store coupons (which I don't track in OmniFocus at all):

I have a folder in my desk called coupons where I store the paper copies. I have a project in OmniFocus where I enter the coupon info. I set the due date to the expiration date. I set the context to the errand group to which it belongs. Because I live in a very small town with limited shopping nearby, my errand groups include general "errands", the "mall", the "nearest large town", the "nearest large city").

Starting today, I changed the Coupons project to a singleton project (via the inspector - Great new feature Omni guys!!!). Nothing is marked next action.

Just to add to DHM's note...

Instead of setting the due date as the date it expires...for shopping coupons, set the date for two weeks before it expires (shit, I should buy that now or never buy it...), and for museums, one month ahead.

This will destroy your 'impulse' purchases/events, but will certainly remind you.

But yeah, these belong in 'errands'