The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

omnifocus and attached files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i'm thinking of journaling possibilities of omnifocus but little afraid of huge database.

in fact most of issues in omnifocus as a result have some file(-s) (excel, omniplan, omnioutliner etc.) and it would be great to attach it to completed items. in case of using "create link to the file" feature it is difficult to organize files in my file system. so i'm thinking of "embed the file to the document" but afraid of proper omnifocus work with huge database (hundred files with total size more than gigabyte)

any thoughts about it?

p.s. sorry if my english is not perfect

Last edited by livesey; 2009-09-13 at 08:43 AM..

It really depends on whether you are syncing your database to other Macs or to an iPhone. Embedding files in the database is bad for sync times and for opening speed on the iPhone. I don't think embedded files are as big a problem if you are just on one machine. I have to admit that I don't have practical experience with that, since I am syncing an iPhone and so am not embedding attachments.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesey View Post
most of issues in omnifocus as a result have some file(-s) (excel, omniplan, omnioutliner etc.) and it would be great to attach it to completed items.
This is why my preferred solution is to integrate OmniFocus with Devonthink.

See these threads:

Ad hoc links between OF and DT

Applescripts to automate integration of OF with DT

(Or use a script to attach external folders to OF projects)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-09-13 at 12:08 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
This is why my preferred solution is to integrate OmniFocus with Devonthink.
I've allready tried this solution but i didn't like devonthink - it has poor functionality (IMHO) in comparison with Together, for example.

So i'm looking for alternative problem solving

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Thanx a lot for advices!

It seems to be what i'm looking for but i do not know apple script at all ((
How can i change default folder in this script to point it to my folder with exact project folders which i already created?

Quote:
I've allready tried this solution but i didn't like devonthink - it has poor functionality (IMHO) in comparison with Together, for example.
My experience has been that Together has a very nice interface, but underneath that there is little, if anything, that it can do that cannot be done better in DEVONthink Pro or Pro Office. DTP/DTPO does a much better job at handling the more complex tasks, such as integrating with OmniFocus as RobTrew mentioned, to doing the more basic tasks, such as creating a text file that can be opened with a text editor. This is probably not the best forum for discussing the pros and cons of each, but as DTP does integrate so nicely with OmniFocus I hope this is not too far off-topic.

Quote:
How can i change default folder in this script to point it to my folder with exact project folders which i already created?
Not really feasible - if things are going to be automated the folder pathname needs to match the project pathname exactly.

Otherwise, you could try having a shortcut to a folder in your notes field.