The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 6.0 - The Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know, I know... OW5.5 isn't even done yet.. but I don't want these guys to rest on their Dazzling Plans.

Here is my growing list:

- Better RSS. Something along the lines of Safari, although if they figured out a way to do a better "portal" type RSS feed look, that would be great (see http://www.netvibes.com and Sage extensions)

- More bookmark features. Check for duplicates etc. Think management. Also, ability to use (Ala Shiiira) but not import Safari.

- More integration of features found in FireFox Extensions (auto-update, html code, more status reports).

- Spotlight integration of bookmarks, history, etc.

- OmniTabs Extreme: Tabs that are from the same site should be indented, smaller and grouped. If I open a new tab, and close it, bring me back to the tab I was on when I opened it.

- Integrate some of the best features of Firefox Extensions like Web Developer, X-ray, Measure It, Google Notebook, Sage and Extended Status Bar (great stuff there).

BZ

Quote:
More integration of features found in FireFox Extensions (auto-update, html code, more status reports).
The answer to auto-update desires, of course, is Sparkle. Adium X 1.0 uses it, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthsaver
The answer to auto-update desires, of course, is Sparkle. Adium X 1.0 uses it, btw.
Agreed. Sparkle is excellent.

Some of the items on my list:

General
  • When pointing at a bookmark in any menu, show a tooltip with the contents of the "Note" field after a short delay. One thing I use the notes for is to list the products that a Mac software company makes, so that I can search for the product if I forget what company makes it (or remember why I bookmarked a particular company).
  • Status bar should indicate whether a link will open in the current tab, a new tab, or a new window. Tell me what's going to happen when I click a link. I don't like surprises. (Honestly this should already be in the current version; Safari does this.)
  • As suggested in another thread, sort the history list by when a page was closed (closed the tab or URL changed), not when it was opened. This will make it much easier to get back to a page when a tab is accidentally closed.

Single Window Mode
  • Preference to open all target="_blank" links in a new tab. This seems to be the right way to stop links from opening in new windows. I don't want to redirect *all* of those to new tabs; when JavaScript is used to open a popup to show an enlarged image or quick dialog, I certainly don't want that in a new tab. As for distinguishing between JavaScript links that just open a small window vs. actually link to another full page, this could be determined by whether or not it's set to hide the toolbars. If it's not hiding the toolbars, it's probably a link to another site, in which case it should be forced to open in a new tab instead.
  • The "Open All In Tabs" feature for updated bookmarks/RSS feeds should open the tabs in the current window, not a new one (at least, make it optional). This is already the behavior when opening multiple bookmarks in tabs; I don't know why the same command in the Dock menu behaves differently.

Inspector Gadgets
  • Use those wonderful OmniPalettes to implement Downloads, Search Shortcuts and Workspaces as inspectors.
  • In addition to Page Info and Bookmark Info, use the larger in-window inspector for managing Cookies and Blocked URLs (rather than opening sheets for these).
  • This one's up for debate, but I think the Site Preferences could be done as an inspector palette as well, instead of using the larger in-window inspector.
  • DOM Inspector could certainly be an inspector palette, but it might be best just to use the WebKit one "as is" so that you don't have to mess around to incorporate the latest version every time they update it.

Tabs
  • Get rid of the drawer, and put the tabs in an iTunes-style sidebar on the left. Perhaps this should be optional, in case anyone wants to keep the drawer for some reason. There should be a button to hide/show the tab sidebar, and if we do keep the drawer, just use the same toolbar button to hide/show the sidebar or drawer, depending on which is selected.
  • Organize tabs from the same site into a group that can be collapsed/expanded.
  • Keyboard shortcut to force a link to open in the current tab.
  • Never create a new tab when there's an empty one already available. If there's an empty one, use it. For example, when a URL is launched from another app.

Forms
  • Forms auto-fill that actually works. Safari's autofill works brilliantly (worked well in IE 5 too). This feature never worked very well for me in OW. Half the fields don't get filled in.
  • Auto-save (to local temporary files) while typing in a textarea. I've gotten into the habit of regularly selecting all the text and dragging the clipping to my desktop in case the browser crashes or I accidentally close the window (or whatever else) when typing a long forum reply. I don't use web email myself, but lots of people do, and would find this very handy here too. For bonus points, auto-save the entire state of the form. Some thought would have to be put into deciding what forms this should apply to (since sometimes a "form" is just a simple drop-down menu). It should probably at least include one text field. Doing this once a minute would be good (starting one minute after the user makes the first change to a form field) -- this would avoid autosaving the text from every little search field. When returning to a form for which an auto-save state exists, a dialog (sheet) should ask the user if they want to restore the form. Submitting a form would clear away any auto-saved states for it, so we'd only be asking if the user started filling out a form, but never submitted it.

I'm sure I can think of plenty more.

That's a reasonable summary of a number of other people's requests.

Btw - OmniWeb already does show you what is going to happen when you click a link, except it only does it if you are command-(shift)-clicking it. I agree that this needs to be extended to show you what will happen when you perform a normal click.

The sidebar versus drawer thing has already been thrashed out in other threads (note that one was in the OmniOutliner forum, but the advantages a drawer offers are the same in OmniWeb, with a few additional ones to boot) - I really hope we don't get dicked by only having a sidebar. The drawer has a number of advantages that a sidebar does not. A sidebar has absolutely none (other than aesthetic appeal and that is in the eye of the beholder).

Auto-saving text input. This always used to happen in 5.1.3 and earlier if I had the Always save forms for autofill selected - if OmniWeb crashed, when I restored it, my text input in forums was also restored 90% of the time. However, with the way this particular forum works (having to click the Quick reply or Quote button) this no longer occurs in 5.5. Having it save to a temp file sounds appealing. However, in both the autofill and temporary text input save there is a security issue. Passwords and e.g. Credit card numbers should not be saved (I would like to see a setting to exclude numbers from the Autofill and Autocomplete memory).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
That's a reasonable summary of a number of other people's requests.
I'm sure some of my requests have already been suggested by others, but those were really just my own thoughts. I haven't dug around and looked at all the ideas people have already discussed elsewhere on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Btw - OmniWeb already does show you what is going to happen when you click a link, except it only does it if you are command-(shift)-clicking it. I agree that this needs to be extended to show you what will happen when you perform a normal click.
Yeah, although it's a bit wonky in the current beta (5.5b3). You have to hold the modifier(s) before pointing at the link; the status bar no longer updates "live" as you press or release modifer keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I really hope we don't get dicked by only having a sidebar. The drawer has a number of advantages that a sidebar does not. A sidebar has absolutely none (other than aesthetic appeal and that is in the eye of the beholder).
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on what advantages a drawer offers that a sidebar doesn't. Some thoughts on the matter:
  • A drawer is a little bit shorter than the total window height, and has a bit of empty space above and below it (so you can see a bit of what's underneath). I actually don't like this, myself, but some people might.
  • Depending on the combined height of your toolbar, address bar (if you've got the separate one enabled), and bookmarks bar, the drawer may offer more vertical space than a sidebar (which would be the same height as your viewport). On the other hand, when you hide your toolbars, a sidebar would have more vertical height. In my case, since I generally want my toolbars visible, a drawer would normally have more vertical space (with my settings, it's about an extra 65px).
  • When you click to show the drawer, the window will move if necessary, to accomodate the necessary width, and move back when you hide it again. Some people might like this behavior (I see some merit to it). I find it annoying, and I always make sure drawers are positioned such that my windows will never move around when hiding or showing them.
  • A drawer can be resized without changing the width of the viewport. When adjusting the width of a sidebar, the viewport would grow and shrink accordingly (meaning you might also have to resize the overall window as well). I never resize my drawer, but if anyone does this regularly, they would probably be better-served by a drawer.
  • A drawer can be positioned on the left or the right side of the window. A sidebar can really only be on the left (and should be anyway).

I think you're right, actually. There are several good arguments in favor of the drawer, and it should definitely stick around. I just prefer the integrated look of sidebars vs. drawers, and would appreciate having it as an option. It's not a matter of mere aesthetics to me, and IMO form and function are inseparable. The cleaner and simpler a design is, the more functional it is to me. For example, when text is set in a larger font with more spacing between the lines, it's a great deal easier for me to read it, and to me is worth the cost of not being able to fit as much text on one page.

When the current iTunes-style sidebar -- distinguished by its light blue background instead of being surrounded by thick borders and bevels -- made its way into Mail, it made the experience of using Mail noticeably more enjoyable (which is entirely subjective, of course, but nonetheless a reality for me). Drawers have a lot more visual "noise"; thick border, beveled inset, striped background, drop shadow cast by the main window, and in the case of OW, a second, inset white content area, with another border, and gaps between that and the edges of the drawer. The gaps around the outside of drawers are not to my liking either; it's not useful to me to see a little slice of whatever happens to be behind it, and for me it's just another source of visual noise.

My point is that some may prefer the cleaner, integrated look and feel of a sidebar, at the expense of the flexibility that the drawer offers. Having it as an option would be much appreciated by those people, while leaving the current functionality in place for those who like it the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Auto-saving text input. This always used to happen in 5.1.3 and earlier if I had the Always save forms for autofill selected - if OmniWeb crashed, when I restored it, my text input in forums was also restored 90% of the time. However, with the way this particular forum works (having to click the Quick reply or Quote button) this no longer occurs in 5.5. Having it save to a temp file sounds appealing. However, in both the autofill and temporary text input save there is a security issue. Passwords and e.g. Credit card numbers should not be saved (I would like to see a setting to exclude numbers from the Autofill and Autocomplete memory).
I'm actually not talking about autofill or autocomplete though (I guess the "auto-" prefix "auto"matically suggests a relationship between those features). I'm just talking about a safety net so you don't lose what you're working on when you're typing in a particular form -- particularly web-based mail, forums, and content management systems. For the sake of security, there are a couple of options. Your suggestion to not record fields consisting of only numbers (and possibly hyphens) is a good one. Another approach would be to only autosave textareas, as that's what I'm primarily concerned about losing. Anything that fits in a single-line text field can't be that hard to type in again. But I don't want to lose, for example, one of my 3 page rambles about what Omni should do with the next version of their browser, because...well, maybe that's not a good example.

As for autocompletion, I've found it more irritating than helpful to have OW saving everything I ever type into a form and suggesting it when I try to fill out other forms. I don't like that at all, and turned it off pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
  • Auto-save (to local temporary files) while typing in a textarea. […]
Also useful combined with undoclosetabs. Yesterday I lost an article that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthsaver
I have to go to the Adium site to download update versions ... whenever I do the automatic update through Sparkle, it crashes on me immediately every time I try to open it ...

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
I know, I know... OW5.5 isn't even done yet.. but I don't want these guys to rest on their Dazzling Plans.

Here is my growing list:

- Better RSS. Something along the lines of Safari, although if they figured out a way to do a better "portal" type RSS feed look, that would be great (see http://www.netvibes.com and Sage extensions)

- More bookmark features. Check for duplicates etc. Think management. Also, ability to use (Ala Shiiira) but not import Safari.

- More integration of features found in FireFox Extensions (auto-update, html code, more status reports).

- Spotlight integration of bookmarks, history, etc.

- OmniTabs Extreme: Tabs that are from the same site should be indented, smaller and grouped. If I open a new tab, and close it, bring me back to the tab I was on when I opened it.

- Integrate some of the best features of Firefox Extensions like Web Developer, X-ray, Measure It, Google Notebook, Sage and Extended Status Bar (great stuff there).

BZ
Here's a quick list from me:

- RSS feeds that are more like Safari/WebKit.app
- True single window/tab mode (if I click on a link and it wants to open a new window, I don't even want a new tab, I want to be able to force it to open in the current tab/winow -- I use middle-click and/or cmd-t if I want a new tab)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.breeding
- RSS feeds that are more like Safari/WebKit.app

I don't understand… Several people have mentioned that recently. What's so great with that??? I really don't like RSS in Safari. You can't check the new posts through the Dock icon or in the Favorite bar. What is there to like??
If I had to say anything about RSS Support, I would say "more like NetNewsWire" not Safari :(