The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmn678 View Post
One more vote here for an OmniFocus like app for Android 2.0.
Well, just for the record. One vote against iPhone for Android. I'd never buy anything with unavoidable Google inside. Google is already way too powerful and I'd never trust them with my beloved data. There is no such thing as free lunch.

And I would never buy again any other phone but an iPhone as long as Apple will produce iPhones.

I'd prefer that Omnifocus focuses on OS X and the iPhone. Seems to be complicated enough. No need to spread resources.

As others have noted, Android has NOTHING in common with either the iPhone or Mac frameworks & requires the equivalent of a full rewrite. The Android platform has been out for a while now & hasn't set any sales records. Even the much anticipated Droid release on Verizon sold fewer units it's opening weekend than the original iPhone did by a 10-1 ratio, it's doubtful it makes ANY economic sense to do split development resources to a DOA platform.

I'm sure that Omni Group are intelligent enough to know if they are spreading their resources too thinly.

As I have said before, even just adding sync capability with something like Remember The Milk or Google Tasks when the API is released would be helpful, so that other task managers on this platform can be used. At the moment I have zero sync ability.

niels, have you even used a droid phone? Spoken to anyone who's used one? I can assure you that it is not DOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrecord View Post
niels, have you even used a droid phone? Spoken to anyone who's used one? I can assure you that it is not DOA.
I've been in the mobile application development space for a long time & have owned multiple mobile devices at the same time. I used to do a lot of J2ME development & can tell you that a fragmented platform makes developing anything more than the most trivial of apps difficult & expensive. We didn't bother with Windows mobile or native Symbian for the same reason.

I've played with the Droid & other Android devices. While it's far better than many of the J2ME (typically Symbian) or Windows Mobile devices out there, it still comes up short to the iPhone OS both as a consumer and a developer. But I stand by my statement... the sales numbers just don't show Android as a viable platform. That doesn't mean it can't change, but if after a few generations and on multiple carriers, they still can't meet 1/10 the first gen sales of the iPhone on a single carrier, how likely is it?

When you also figure the iPhone OS is now not only the iPhone but also the iPod touch, it's a huge market, that is continuing to grow at rates far outpacing Android or even last year's "iPhone Killer", the Palm Pre. If you look closely, the growth rate of the iPhone OS (both phone & iPod) is nearly enough to wipe out all Android sales, thus why I said DOA.