The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus doesn't remember window position Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just noticed that OF doesn't remember window position or size after I quit the application. Is anyone else noticing this? I'm running OF 1.9.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini View Post
I just noticed that OF doesn't remember window position or size after I quit the application. Is anyone else noticing this? I'm running OF 1.9.4.
No, in general I've always found it remembers window position.

Any chance you have lots of different windows open?

I am having the same problem. I was just contemplating sending an email to the support group.

No matter what I do I get a 925x723 window at launch which wraps all of the items my inbox.

Lion, OFOCUS 1.9.4, everything patched to the gills. :)

Close all the OmniFocus windows. Quit OmniFocus. Launch OmniFocus, resize resulting window to your preferred dimensions. Quit and relaunch OmniFocus again. Do you get the right size?

Just tried that ( hoping closing all windows was somehow magical ). Nothing changed.

It is magical, except when it isn't :-)

I wonder if your preferences file has gotten corrupted. Quit OmniFocus. In the Finder, do Go->Go to Folder... and enter ~/Library/Preferences then click the Go button. Now find the com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist file and rename it to something else and relaunch OmniFocus. See if the undesired behavior persists. If it doesn't, mail the corrupted file to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and ask them to figure out what went wrong. You'll need to re-enter any of your preferences that you changed.

If it doesn't do the trick, then you might as well move the old one back and contact Omni support directly.

I inspected my preferences with XCode and lo-and-behold there was a string called "LastWindowPosition" whose value matched the annoying startup state I have been stuck with. I deleted the value and now the app has reverted to the "correct" behavior of remembering the last state. W00t.

Thanks, whpalmer4, for the idea.

I don't know for sure - and the engineers I would ask have already gone home - but it seems possible that the perspectives in use may explain the difference between what Cassini and Jtynefield are seeing vs. Bill and CatOne.

If folks can figure out which perspectives create the windows they're seeing after restarting OmniFocus, some screenshots of those Perspectives may help us figure out what's going on?

(Open the Perspectives window from the menu of the same name. Screenshots can be taken by pressing command-shift-4 and then dragging the mouse over the window you want to capture. The screenshot will be saved to the desktop; you can attach it to a forum post via the paperclip button in the post editor.)

This is the perspective I use most often at work - it preserves window position if I quit and restart OmniFocus.

Hmm... just occurred to me - maybe the "always create in new window" checkbox is a factor?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Perspectives.pdf (64.8 KB, 564 views)

Note to self: if you open a bunch of threads in tabs, and then work on other tasks for a few hours, RELOAD THE TABS BEFORE RESPONDING. :-)