The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't find parent action group for overdue actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got OF for the mac and for iphone. One of the ways I use it is to keep a to-do checklist for each new client I have. I have created a template that I then duplicate when I make contact with a new client. I've arranged OF so that "clients" is a project, and each client's name is an action group within that project. I don't want to make each client its own project, because then my project list will become too big to be usable.

So when I check my "overdue" items on the iphone, I'll sometimes see several actions with the same name, for example "follow up after session". However there's no indication which action group (i.e. client) these belong to. So I have no idea who I should be calling! In the mac version I can go from action to the enclosing project and action group by dbl-clicking the left side of the action. Is there a way to go from action to enclosing action group on the iphone version?

You can't do it directly (yet)—they added such a feature to the iPad app, but it hasn't made its way to the iPhone.

However, if you are willing to switch to a project per client, there's a way you can do it with perspectives. On your Mac, make a context mode perspective that groups by project, sorts by due, availability remaining, status due soon, duration any duration. Sync that over to your iPhone and make sure you've got the perspectives feature turned on (see the experimental section of the settings page). With that perspective, you'll see everything that is overdue or due within the next few days, and each section of the list will be headed by the project name of the following action(s).

I don't know how many clients you have, but I would try it with a project per client for a while and make sure it really is as unworkable as you think. You can easily put the projects back into the Clients project if you don't like it. Or maybe have Clients A-E, Clients F-J, etc. Mashing all of the clients into one massive project strips you of the ability to review them individually, put clients on hold, easily spot "stalled" clients, and so on, all of which I find pretty valuable with hundreds of projects.

Thanks! I guess I'll have to live with the clients-as-projects methodology for now. But that'll work.