The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A bit sluggish? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have also noticed that OW has become incredibly slow at times :(. I have especially experienced problems with eBay:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...die&category0=

Have tried to delete the HistoryIndex file, but to no avail - any ideas what is going on here? I have tried with other browsers without any problems what so ever.

Site seems to work fine. I did get the spinning beachball once but I had a bunch of tabs open and have been running OW for an considerable amount of time at that point so it might've bogged down somewhat. It worked fine on restart and subsequent visits.

I do notice some slowdown occasionally if I have multiple apps running or iTunes playing but for the most part, it's pretty snappy. Sometimes, I'll scroll with my mouse before a page loads and OW freezes or crashes.

I'm pleased with the performance of OW. It might be slightly slower than Safari but it's really close. I've also disabled the image placeholders and I don't know if it does anything in terms of speed.

I'm running a 700 MHz eMac with 1 GB RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy
Can anyone explain what is the purpose of the HistoryIndex.ox file?
OW (5.5.3) is dreadfully slow, with spinning beachballs everywhere, but I'd still like to know what I'm deleting when I get rid of that file :)
This file stores the full text of pages in your history. Currently it isn't filtering out old entries properly which is causing it to get large and unfortunately the database format that it's in is not very efficient at large sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy
OW (5.5.3) is dreadfully slow, with spinning beachballs everywhere, ...
I'm afraid I have to agree. 5.5.3 is slow, rarely quits gracefully after having run for a couple of hours, necessitating a forced quit 9 times out of 10, and nothing helps: deleting the historyindex doesn't, changing cache values doesn't, and switching to Camino or Safari doesn't either, of course.

OmniPeople! Please make OmniWeb your first priority for a while, and give us back the fast and furious web browsing beast we had before.

Funny you should mention it - I actually did go back to Camino... They seem to be getting it right lately!

I'm running on a MBP Duo with 2 gigs of ram & the 256 video card and its coming to a crawl.

Tag: OmniWeb/5.5.2-v607.12

I thought it was just me.

I get tired of upgrading thus the reason I'm sticking with 5.5.2 because every time I upgrade I have to reload my transparent bookmark bar icons. those purple things make me one to remove my eyes.

oh well.

I've got faith they'll get the problems fixed.

5.5.3 seems just about fine speedwise to me. I don't like how Mozilla renders sites and Camino doesn't have shortcuts.

I love how well all of the features are integrated into OW. The adblock seems to have a high success rate. The only problem is if I scroll with my mouse without the page fully loaded sometimes OW stalls and I get the spinning beach ball.

Anyone have the link to older versions of OW? (5.5.1 in particular, or whichever one is the most stable?)

From time and again, if I do things too quickly while a web page is loading, OW will crash and I get the lovely crash report. It's frustrating when I have a lot of tabs open!

You might try using the "Auto-save while browsing" setting found in the Workspace window (which is available from the workspace menu) this will preserve your open tabs between sessions.

As far as the crashes go, feel free to use the send feedback link found in the help menu and we'll take a look at your crashes to try to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Yes, I have been having an absolutely MISERABLE experience with OmniWeb. I have been using the demo versions on and off for awhile, so I decided to purchase the app at Macworld, and have been really sorry since. The app is HORRIBLY slow (even slower than Safari or Firefox), I often get the beachball for things like typing, and it crashes ALL THE TIME.

That is to say, the OmniGroup CrashCatcher will pop up like every half hour. A lot of times the browser will truly crash, and other times, the CrashCatcher will pop up but the browser keeps working. A real boon to the problem seems to be playing audio/video with Flash.

I have sent in a dozen or more of those crash reports (and have had like 5 times as many crashes), and have sent in feedback, and have gotten zero response. I'm going to try these forums, but if I don't get any help, then I am going to demand a refund.