The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Overlay/Layer Semester Range with Gantt Chart Calendar? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I'm a new user and have purchased OmniPlan for use in a multi-year research project I'm spearheading. I've pretty much got all of my personell and tasks in the Gantt chart and the calendar dates look good.

However, I'd like to do one more thing, if possible. Since the project revolves around an academic setting, I'd like to include a visual representation of the academic semesters on the Gantt view (task view). Ideally, I'd like this to be represented by a translucent, labelled, vertical regions of the calendar, rather than tasks or task groups. This does not replace the calendar dates (months, years) but is in addition to that information.

For example, it might look something like the following, withe box being semi-transparent, and have a label for the spring semester. (This was just a quick and dirty rendering...)

Thanks for any help...

I find myself wanting something similar - perhaps user defined lines or fields which specify something important. For me, certain deadlines are given by my department. I'd like to be free to complete tasks before the deadlines, or perhaps know when certain events are happening that aren't related directly to the tasks at hand, but are important for other reasons.

I know this might veer off-course, and perhaps I'm not using milestones properly yet, but I think this is a great idea... and I wonder if it couldn't be linked in some way to resource management?

For instance- does anything happen to the time-lines at all when a resource (person) is on vacation, and no work is getting done? If I give the task 1 week to complete, and my resource is out on vacation for 3 days of that 1 week, shouldn't I get notified somehow that the task won't complete on time? Or, perhaps it would be better to grey out the fields when whole resources are not available? Not sure if these ideas are thought out well here, but I find that a visual field below the chart tasks may indeed be very useful for these types of academic settings.

Cheers!
-Allen