The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Print section (newbie) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am confused. Reading the manual etc. it looks like I should be able to incorporate a "section" name in the header or footer of a printed document, but I don't seem to be able to do this.

I went to the utilities drawer and used the little "gear" icon to show the 2nd and even 3d level headers as "sections." It now shows a bunch of titles in the utilities drawer (ie, "Room 1", "Room 2" etc in my case). I assume that these are "section titles" referred to in the documentation.

I then went to
* Page Setup,
* Settings: OmniOutliner Pro,
* Headers & Footers,
*Settings: All Except First Page,
* Show: Center
* Headers
and clicked on Document Name, Document Title, and Section Title.

When I print, "Document Name", "Document Title" and "Section Title" are all replaced by the name of the document (ie, as shown in the Finder).

What am I missing? How do I get the "Section name"

TIA

Alanterra,
It looks to me like you have the Main Section selected in the Utility Drawer, and of course, it has the same name as the document. IIRC, the 'top level' Section selected is the name that prints in the Header/Footer.

Have you tried selecting another Section and printing? Does that change what appears in the Header/Footer?

James B

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongSizeGlass
Alanterra,
Have you tried selecting another Section and printing? Does that change what appears in the Header/Footer?
James B
Well, if that is not one of the most unintuitive pieces of user interface! What I thought I could do was like in a word processor, where one can put the section title in the header of a page. For instance, this document describes what is in a bunch of rooms, and I thought if I had "Room 1" in the header it would be a lot easier to read, rather than having to look back to previous pages to see which room you are in.

But what you are saying is right. If I select the document in the Utilities pane, then the section name printed is the document name, if I select a level 1 row, then the section name printed comes from thatt level 1 row, and if I select a level 2 row, etc.

So the only way to get the section 2 row as the "section" title in the header or footer is to select each section 2 row, print those pages, and then collate the document (physically, or as a pdf). Naturally, this will enforce that there be page breaks between the "sections" as well.

Thanks for explaining the "how"--but the "why" still eludes me ;)

Thanks

Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanterra
* Headers
and clicked on Document Name, Document Title, and Section Title.

When I print, "Document Name", "Document Title" and "Section Title" are all replaced by the name of the document (ie, as shown in the Finder).

What am I missing? How do I get the "Section name"

TIA
The Section Name will display what ever the hoisted root is. If you're displaying your whole document then the document title will display.

I agree that it's confusing.