The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Mac 1.9 approved! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sure thing. But on the other hand, I know that there are already apps out, that ring an alarm if you enter a certain radius to your goal destination. E.g. let's you sleep on the train until you are 5km close to your destination, no matter what the trains delay is ect.

So it was possible before iOS 5 and also was done by non-apple developers.

I'm not trying to diss OmniGroup, but I think that (as I said above) there's room for improvement and having Apple as a new player in the task-management-business is great news for customers and will most likely accelerate development speed all over in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
Sure thing. But on the other hand, I know that there are already apps out, that ring an alarm if you enter a certain radius to your goal destination. E.g. let's you sleep on the train until you are 5km close to your destination, no matter what the trains delay is ect.

So it was possible before iOS 5 and also was done by non-apple developers.

I'm not trying to diss OmniGroup, but I think that (as I said above) there's room for improvement and having Apple as a new player in the task-management-business is great news for customers and will most likely accelerate development speed all over in this area.
Speaking of iReminders, I'm definitely giving that a shot if Apple offers a web browser to view them in like their other iCloud services. I'm getting a little more than frustrated with finding an elegant, all in one solution for my todo based needs after a few years of searching (and jumping ship to macs) around. Toodledo badly needs a designer, RTM has a super unintuitive interface that relies on using hotkeys, Still waiting on Things to offer sync, The Hitlist is only run by one person (so you're pretty much screwed if something happens or he gives up on the project) Todo has color code based lists which I can't stand (Also hate the iPad app design) and Omnifocus 1.9 looks like a windows 3.1 app compared to the more modern and elagent looking Mac apps I use.

I'm reluctant to start a whole new thread on this, but does anyone know anything about OF 2? Is something under development? Will it be substantially different than OF? I see hints and rumors, but inquiring minds want to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I'm reluctant to start a whole new thread on this, but does anyone know anything about OF 2? Is something under development? Will it be substantially different than OF? I see hints and rumors, but inquiring minds want to know!
Ken Case just tweeted that an OF UI update was in the works. Forecast mode was one of the things he mentioned. Check @kcase on Twitter.

Does this mean we're talking about OmniFocus 2.0?

In other words, will this be a major release cycle or another point release for 1.x? (Not that point releases aren't major in some cases)

Reason I'm asking is I'd love to get tags and smart folders in OmniFocus. Perspectives just aren't my favorite way of viewing my data. They can co-exist I think.

Tags can co-exist with contexts too. For those that prefer tags, they can just hide the context field and vice-versa. This would allow people to easily pick the way that works best for them.

The other major thing I'd like to see is better options for repeating tasks. Follow the path set by Things and The Hit List. For all of the things Cultured Code got wrong with Things, the repeating task part is something they got right.

Visual updates are definitely welcome too. I feel OmniFocus is the worst looking of the three major task management apps I've used but it's also the best in terms of features. So I keep coming back to it even though it's sorta terrible looking. It needs a bit of an iLife overhaul in the looks department... less overhaul on the features.. don't pull an iMovie on me. But definitely update the looks so that it feels like a real Mac app.

I know this isn't the best place to put this, and probably is too late if it isn't already in 2.0, but I second tags and smartlists. How convenient would it be to be able to keep my entire project and context structure intact and unchanged, and simply drop tags onto particular items to have them show up on a "today" smartlist, a "this week" smartlist, a "need to think more about this one" smartlist, and so forth. You can manipulate OF to generate most of these, of course, but the beauty of using tags is that you can do it quickly on the fly WITHOUT having to disturb the structure of your lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I know this isn't the best place to put this, and probably is too late if it isn't already in 2.0, but I second tags and smartlists. How convenient would it be to be able to keep my entire project and context structure intact and unchanged, and simply drop tags onto particular items to have them show up on a "today" smartlist, a "this week" smartlist, a "need to think more about this one" smartlist, and so forth. You can manipulate OF to generate most of these, of course, but the beauty of using tags is that you can do it quickly on the fly WITHOUT having to disturb the structure of your lists.
I'd love to see those as well. It's also the reason I've dabbled so much with The Hit List lately; that's exactly what it offers except it's missing some things I'd like as well.

I'm not a fan of perspectives really, and I am REALLY REALLY not a fan of the fact that I'm often forced to use context mode to use a number of filters and groupings. I have the "Leviathan" context, and I've tried things like just making @next and @someday contexts, as well as others that act as "tags" and using a combination of active and on hold context to hide things in project view. It's a pain because it breaks action groups, and a number of other things… :-( in many ways.