The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Not until there's OO for iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Love OO4. Love OO2 for iPad.

But until I can use OmniOutliner on my iPhone, the only device that is with me all the time, I'm not using OO at all. (And not upgrading to OO4)

I'm spoiled by iCloud/Dropbox/Google Drive and all the apps that function on all my devices. Any app that doesn't work across the entire Apple ecosystem isn't fully functional in the age of cloud computing.

If there were an OmniOutliner for iPhone, it would probably have to be simplified, to stay usable on a much smaller, more quick access device. Which features of the iPad app would you need and which could you live with out?

Thanks for enquiring, Lizard.

On OO for the iPhone, I'd like to be able to read and update all the basic fields - that's all. I don't need to fiddle with styles or other visuals on a small screen. (Although the style system would probably translate OK from the iPad.)

If I could sync all my data to the iPhone, including columns, and tinker with that data (including adding & sorting columns, ideally), then OO for iPhone would be perfectly adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If there were an OmniOutliner for iPhone, it would probably have to be simplified, to stay usable on a much smaller, more quick access device. Which features of the iPad app would you need and which could you live with out?
If I may add my voice here: Considering, that I have to save every oo3 document as pdf or text to be able to view it on my iPhone, it would already be of great help, if I only had a viewer for OmniOutliner files.
I yet do not own an iPad, but anyway, it’s my iPhone that’s always with me, so a simplified app for viewing and adding extings files and creating very basic outlines would be great - at least for me. I guess I’d never create complex outlines on my iPhone, it simply is not a good device suited for that in my eyes.

I agree the iPhone is not best suited for creating outlines. So I'd love to have an OO reader app ... or, at the very least, am AppleScript or Automator workflow that will easily convert my outlines to PDFs.

Automator doesn't seem to have a "Print to PDF" function, so is anyone out there interested in writing a script?

A viewer for the iPhone with OmniPresence support would be very handy.

Full-featured OmniOutliner for iPhone might be a bit much to ask — just like full-featured Numbers for iPhone, it'd be awesome but likely unwieldily. Honestly, just a viewer that lets you search through and add/edit text to existing outliners with their existing theme would be amazing.