The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Text Expander Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Omni,

Any news on this? It's been 1.5 years since your last post... still no TE support. I'd appreciate knowing it if it's something you're actually not intending to implement (see above post by endoftheQ). You've been one of the more honest and forthcoming companies in the past, some communication here would help.

Thanks!

I would like this function too. Textexpander is invaluable as a tool for entering things quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Any news on this? It's been 1.5 years since your last post... still no TE support. I'd appreciate knowing it if it's something you're actually not intending to implement (see above post by endoftheQ). You've been one of the more honest and forthcoming companies in the past, some communication here would help.
qft, couldn't have said it better myself.

Another +1 for textexpander support pretty please!

We're certainly not opposed to supporting it, but we don't have an ETA or any firm plans one way or the other, either.

Pro: makes a portion of our customers happy. Con: have to introduce a dependency on a code library we didn't write into our app, there are other things folks have expressed a desire for more frequently.

In any case, votes recorded and we'll continue to do so - thanks!

Brian, perhaps the request could be worded to say "Explore resources needed to add TextExpander support to OmniFocus iOS." I say this because I am a beta tester for the DEVONthink apps, and when DEVONthink to Go was in the initial alpha stage I made a request to include TextExpander support. The developer said he would look into it, and 3 hours later we had a new beta release with TextExpander support added. It was just that easy and to my knowledge we didn't have a single bug or other issue that could be traced to adding this.

I don't think implementing it is hard, obviously it's trivial. I can understand OmniGroup's reluctance to include a library from a third party when it has potential to introduce bugs and adds another loop to regression testing, etc.

What I can't understand is how their best customer and biggest advocate hasn't been able to convince them to do it anyway. I can't imagine Mr. Mann hasn't been asking for this for the last few years at every opportunity. I am very curious how they've been able to tell him "no" for this long, personally ;)

thanks for sharing a nice info

I've found a way to (kind of) make TextExpander work with OmniFocus on iOS. There's an app called Drafts which integrates with TextExpander. It lets you write out some text then send it to OmniFocus. Works great for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We're certainly not opposed to supporting it, but we don't have an ETA or any firm plans one way or the other, either.

Pro: makes a portion of our customers happy.[...]

In any case, votes recorded and we'll continue to do so - thanks!
another request for TextExpander Touch support in OmniFocus iOS, on both iPad and iPhone.

Is there a better way to flag this request to Product Management other than the forum? It cannot be too difficult to integrate TextExpander given the SDK available at a link already posted in this very thread.

Unless someone at Omni Group has something personal against somebody at Smile Software, that is... :D

Thanks, Luca