The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Duplicate a Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have certain sets of tasks I use over again. On OmniFocus for Mac, I create a project with all of the typical actions and label it Sample XXX. When I need it again, I just duplicate the project and make my changes. I don't see a way to duplicate a project on the iPad version. Am I missing it or is that a feature that isn't available yet?

You should be able to tap and hold on the "template" project, select Copy, then Paste it, but I get a reliable crash when I do so, so you might have to wait for a bug fix...send in a report with Contact Omni to bump up the priority...

When I tap and hold on a Project title my choices are the following:

Focus, Paste, Delete, Review, and New Action

I don't see Copy. I am using the Project view when I am doing this.

One thing I can do is create an overall group of tasks in my "template" project. I can set up a new project and then copy the group of tasks from my "template" project and paste them into my new project. I'd rather a one step duplicate but at least this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
When I tap and hold on a Project title my choices are the following:

Focus, Paste, Delete, Review, and New Action

I don't see Copy. I am using the Project view when I am doing this.
Ah, you're right! Well, if you use the search function to find the project, and tap and hold on the project in the results, you'll get the Copy option. However, I now wonder if perhaps that is unintentional in the case of a project...

Send in a bug report with Contact Omni from the gear menu!

I would also be very interested in the ability to create and duplicate templates within OF for iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernelius View Post
I would also be very interested in the ability to create and duplicate templates within OF for iPad.
Again, use Contact Omni to make your requests heard. Forum posts aren't tracked, and may not even be seen...

Thanks for the feedback, we have a request in to support copying projects and I've added your vote.

Since you can promote actions to projects there is a potential workaround. Set up your template as an action group, and use the parent action's copy/paste and move features to get your new project. This is a bit fiddly but it should get you to where you want to be. The help should get you started, here's a link to the relevant section.

You can use "Repeat" to copy a project.

Go to your "template" location.

Set view to "ALL" so that you can see completed projects.

You can set your template project to repeat every day, then change it's status to "complete". Click "done".

The "repeat" version of your template will appear below the freshly "completed" template.

Set your original template project back to "On Hold" or "Active"

Then you can move your new project to your working locations (don't forget to turn off its repeat settings.)

Last edited by SteveYYC; 2010-08-10 at 05:18 AM..