The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Disable iCal sync sound Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I have automated an iCal sync every five minutes with cron and applescript. It works fine but i haven't find the way to disable the sync sound - which is the 'burr' system sound -.

Is anybody there has an idea on how to disable this sound ?

Regards,
Laurent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcupial View Post
Hello,

I have automated an iCal sync every five minutes with cron and applescript. It works fine but i haven't find the way to disable the sync sound - which is the 'burr' system sound -.

Regards,
Laurent.
I have the exact same problem. Surely there must a way to disable this sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcupial View Post
Hello,

Regards,
Laurent.
Ok here is what I did. It's a real hack but it seems to work.

Assuming you don't use the 'Purr.aiff' sound for anything else and you won't miss it ;-) ... I went into the Sounds folder and made a copy of Purr.aiff. Then I downloaded Audacity and edited the original Purr.aiff to just be a fraction of a second of no sound whatsoever.

This seems to work fine now. I had to quit OmniFocus and open it again before it stopped making the sound on iCal sync (sound might be cached or something by the app?)

Of course, the edited Purr.aiff will no doubt get overwritten again with some future OS X patch or upgrade but this is at least a temporary workaround until hopefully Omni gives us an option to turn this annoying sound off!!

Cheers
Ken

If you don't like user interface sound effects in general (in any app), you can turn them off in the Sound preference pane in System Preferences. (Look for the "Play user interface sound effects" setting under the Sound Effects tab.)

But if you just want to eliminate that particular iCal sync sound, enter this command in a Terminal window:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncFinishedSound ""
To change it to use a different sound (e.g. the "Submarine" sound effect), try this:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncFinishedSound "Submarine"
To return to the factory setting:

Code:
defaults remove com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncFinishedSound
Hope this helps!

Perfect! Thanks Ken, just what we were after!!

Cheers
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
If you don't like user interface sound effects in general (in any app), you can turn them off in the Sound preference pane in System Preferences. (Look for the "Play user interface sound effects" setting under the Sound Effects tab.)

But if you just want to eliminate that particular iCal sync sound, enter this command in a Terminal window:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncFinishedSound ""
To change it to use a different sound (e.g. the "Submarine" sound effect), try this:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncFinishedSound "Submarine"
To return to the factory setting:

Code:
defaults remove com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncFinishedSound
Hope this helps!