The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating options? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
They've done plenty of work since 2007, so my conclusion is that the number of people who have actually bothered to send in a request for that feature hasn't been as large as one might expect, and the number of requests for other features has prompted them to apply the grease to squeakier wheels (or equally squeaky wheels that don't have easy workarounds).

I've got feature requests from 2007 I'm still waiting on, but I have reluctantly accepted that there aren't enough other people who have the good sense to be demanding the same things :-) Now, if they start putting in features that are just eye candy and don't add functionality, I'll get grumpy, but so far that hasn't been a problem.

For this particular need, a pretty easy workaround is to put the event in iCal (which has more powerful custom repeats) and have it email you a reminder the day before. Clip the reminder email into OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
... but it does require work, testing, and documentation...
Obviously documentation is the lowest priority of these! I see that the latest OF manual available is still at v1.5!!!

a

Sorry for the confusion, Albyrne - that version number is for the manual itself, not for the version of OmniFocus the manual refers to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry for the confusion, Albyrne - that version number is for the manual itself, not for the version of OmniFocus the manual refers to.
Brian, the manual on the OmniFocus product page (v 1.5) does look like it is for a much older version as the copyright is 2008. Is there a link to a more current version of the OmniFocus Mac documentation?

I very much agree -- the scheduling of repeating tasks needs to be better handled in OmniFocus. I strongly prefer not to have to schedule TASKS as EVENTS in iCal, leading me to need two tools to manage my tasks instead of one. One should be able to schedule a task as repeating ...

* after every so much time (the only current option)
* at certain times during a week (eg, every MWF), month (eg, every 1st and 3rd Friday), year (eg, every other month)
* to re-occur only AFTER completion

Might I suggest OmniGroup has a look at the (far more flexible) way that Things handles repeating tasks as a template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Brian, the manual on the OmniFocus product page (v 1.5) does look like it is for a much older version as the copyright is 2008. Is there a link to a more current version of the OmniFocus Mac documentation?
Last time I checked, the manual was written against OmniFocus 1.7, which looks like it was released in August of '09. I'm betting we forgot to update the copyright notice when we did that rev of the manual, though. (Yeah, the file was created in May of 2009 - copyright notice is out of date. Bug filed!)

Revising the printed manual to account for the workflow changes we made in version 1.8 is on the to-do list.

(The online help has been updated since them, I believe - I emailed the appropriate folks here to double-check on this. Will report back when I hear from them.)

Last edited by Brian; 2011-04-25 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: add info about file creation date

One more VOTE to add more functionality to the repeating option in OmniFocus. Sure would like to have repeating tasks not occur on weekends. And, yes I know of the work arounds.

I'd really like to have this as well. I don't want to keep things in iCal or Outlook if I can avoid it, especially if they may not be able to be done on that day and would then slip off the radar. Many things I need to do are 'first work day of the month' or 'second Saturday'. Not having this feature when it was available in Outlook was the main reason I gave up on the Palm platform.

Also, as someone who writes documentation, keep your manual numbered the same as the SW version. Even if all you do is update the title page and copyright it saves a lot of confusion for new users.

Wow I am totally shocked that for a planning app that something like repeating events for weekdays isn't a standard feature. I am 1 1/2 weeks into learning this app because repeating tasks in my Franklin Planner that I have been using for 15 years is driving me crazy.

I almost bought an iPad 2 today (I did and then canceled my order because I need to do more research) 90% because of OmniFocus and the need for a mobile planner and because I have found the syncing of OF between macs has been awesome!

Anyway repeating tasks that I can check off days of the week they repeat is vital as well as first Saturday of the month, Last Saturday and 4th Saturday as examples.

I read through page after page since this was thread was started in 2007 and hoped it would have a happy ending. None of the tips I read really cut it for me as valid work arounds.

I have to say though that I have been very impressed with OmniFocus in so many of its features. It was vital for me to be able to archive tasks that I have done for record keeping and from what I can tell OmniFocus does this well (that would have been a deal breaker for me if it didn't). Love the exporting to cvs and html as back ups for me to keep of what I have done.

I digress though, just didn't want to be all drama, but **PLEASE** add robust repeat options!

I didn't see in the help menu a feature request option there as was mentioned, was that in earlier versions then OF 1.9?

Last edited by skillet; 2011-06-16 at 05:49 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
None of the tips I read really cut it for me as valid work arounds.
And yet many, many thousands of repeating actions have been handled with those approaches. By all means, send in your request for better repeat support (see below), but the amount of time it takes to set things up is rarely an appreciable fraction of the time spent actually doing them. Warren Buffett's comment about "Well, it may be all right in practice, but it will never work in theory" often comes to mind when discussing this topic.

Quote:
I didn't see in the help menu a feature request option there as was mentioned, was that in earlier versions then OF 1.9?
Help→Send Feedback is the command you want. It's been there for years...