The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"Unable to save" dialog Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I upgraded from the current 1.6.x version of OF for Mac the night before last.

Just now, I got two or three "Unable to save" dialogs appearing. That's all it said, "Unable to save". I think it was the Warning icon, sorry that I didn't grab a screenie.

I was actually watching a YouTube video in Firefox, and when these OF dialogs appeared they grabbed the focus.

Everything looks fine in my database, so far. Anyone else seen these dialogs?

Hmm... can you let us know what, if anything related to OmniFocus, appears in console.app when this occurs?

Console.app can be found in the utilities subfolder of your applications folder. Launch it, select "Open Console Log" under the File menu, and then type "OmniFocus" into the search field in the upper right of the window.

Does anything appear in the window at that point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hmm... can you let us know what, if anything related to OmniFocus, appears in console.app when this occurs?

Console.app can be found in the utilities subfolder of your applications folder. Launch it, select "Open Console Log" under the File menu, and then type "OmniFocus" into the search field in the upper right of the window.

Does anything appear in the window at that point?

Yes, quite a bit actually, there was lots of output in the logs. Stacktrace(s) attached here.

Last edited by fudster; 2009-08-31 at 08:54 PM..

Thanks for posting that - I'm passing the console information along to the lead developer. I think you can edit the post if you want to pull the file back down...

Should have more info soon.

Quote:
Thanks for posting that - I'm passing the console information along to the lead developer. I think you can edit the post if you want to pull the file back down...

Should have more info soon.
Thanks, I deleted it. Let me know if you need it again.

Heard back from the dev team - we think we know what happened here. Resolving a sync conflict caused OmniFocus to re-apply some transactions where images got added to a "reply to dean" action.

Replaying those transactions set off a "we don't expect attachments to change like that" alert that we put in place while working on a different problem a couple months back. The alert in question is aimed at our testers, which is why it's so attention-grabby; sorry about that.

In any case, at that point OmniFocus didn't trust the cache file, so it closed the database, threw out the cache, and re-built it from the transaction files in your database. The developers think that if there was an actual problem with your data, you would have noticed it by now - things should be okay from here on out.

So, it looks like two pieces of the code interacted in an unexpected way, but OF detected the problem and handled it in the manner it's supposed to. We'll try to make it less distracting when it does so in the future. :-)

Quote:
In any case, at that point OmniFocus didn't trust the cache file, so it closed the database, threw out the cache, and re-built it from the transaction files in your database. The developers think that if there was an actual problem with your data, you would have noticed it by now - things should be okay from here on out.
I sort of thought that too, and I was certainly hoping that would be the case. Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
So, it looks like two pieces of the code interacted in an unexpected way, but OF detected the problem and handled it in the manner it's supposed to. We'll try to make it less distracting when it does so in the future. :-)
No worries, thanks Brian for looking into this!