The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Brand new iPhone OF user. A couple of questions. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is anyone successfully using OF for iPhone as a standalone solution? I've tried the trial version of the desktop app. It's very powerful and faithful to the GTD method, but don't know that I'll use it all that much given how feature-rich the iPhone version is (plus I'm away from my Mac for long stretches). My main concern is being able to clean up old items from the database, and keeping it from getting too big. How is that accomplished without the desktop app (which I understand has an archive feature)?

It may be worth the $80 to get the full app if only to back-up my data and periodically purge old stuff. If so, is Bonjour be the best (and cheapest) approach? I haven't found much on using Bonjour ... any tips or instructions available?

Thx.

Hullo there.

I don't have any advice to add, unfortunately, but will watch this thread with interest, as I moved over from Things Touch & Things Mac to OF (iPhone only so far) yesterday, and am waiting to see if I can get away without the desktop OF app.

The only reason I paid for the Things one was so that I could back up my data (I'm a DBA and we get kinda nervous about data backups...).

With OF iPhone I don't need to worry about that as it goes straight to my MobileMe site, so it's really a question of whether I need the added functionality of the desktop app or not.

Good luck with your setup: let us know how you get on.

And meanwhile, if anyone has got experiences of using just the iPhone OF app, sharing those experiences would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm not an iPhone-only user. Having used the desktop version for years before getting an iPod, I would find it crippling to only be able to use the iPod/iPhone version at the moment, as there is just too much functionality that isn't there yet, not to mention the ease of doing large-scale (re)organization of material with a keyboard on which I can rapidly touch-type, a mouse or track-pad, and several dozen times as much screen space :) I say this not to discourage you from being an iPhone-only user, just to suggest that someday you might find yourself with enough material in your database that being able to use the desktop version in addition will make life better. I find processing my Inbox to be much easier on the desktop, for example, as I can select multiple items and file them all simultaneously.

As for the Bonjour vs. WebDAV/MobileMe issue, I've used both successfully. Bonjour will get you the fastest possible syncing. You don't have to pay for it, as long as your Mac has a wireless connection, and you have a copy of the desktop application (which provides the server). It probably isn't so good for you as the only solution because you say you are away from the Mac for long stretches, and during those times you would be unable to sync (you have to be on the same wireless network as the Mac) and thus would have no backup.

With MobileMe or other WebDAV solution, you may or may not have to pay (there's a sticky on one of the OmniFocus forums talking about free WebDAV options, and I can attest that SwissDisk's free offering was easy to set up and worked well in my experiments). If you have internet connectivity, you should be able to do a sync and thus get your data backed up somewhere other than that small gadget which is so easy to misplace, have stolen, etc. Sync will probably be a bit slower, as you'll most likely be making a connection to some remote server in the cloud. OmniFocus does slow down as unsynced transactions accumulate in your database, so being able to sync at least every few days will probably make for a better experience than if you go weeks between syncs and make lots of changes to the database.

For archiving and purging, the desktop version is the clear winner. Besides the built-in archiving (which may or may not be suitable for your needs, depending on whether you need to keep some of your old completed work in the active database for reference purposes), you can manually archive stuff by simply dragging and dropping, and there is a fairly rich set of display organization tools to let you ferret out the oldest stuff so that you can delete or archive it as you please. No good way to do that on the iPhone/iPod at the moment. Arguably, the greater difficulty posed in getting a huge volume of stuff into the database with only the iPhone pays off here, as the flip side of not being able to get as much in means there isn't as much to get out :)

Great feedback ... thank you. I'll start with the iPhone app, and add the desktop app once I get up and running. if anyone has any detailed info regarding the set-up and use of Bonjour, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

You can't use Bonjour for syncing without the desktop app, which provides the server. Other than that, it's a snap to set up -- you just start up the desktop app, go to the Sync preferences, turn on Bonjour syncing, set a password, and click the "share my settings" button. Then you go to the settings page on the iPhone, tell it you want Bonjour syncing, and click the Get Settings from Mac button. You'll be presented with a list of all of the OmniFocus apps the iPhone found broadcasting their settings (likely to be just yours!), you choose the one you want, and you're done. About the only place things can go wrong is if the Mac and the iPhone aren't on the same network, which will prevent the Bonjour discovery protocols from working.

Sounds easy enough. Now I just have to drop the $80 to get the full app.

Thanks again for the tips and advice. Much appreciated.

I'm having an amazing time using OmniFocus only on my iPod Touch (I have a PC desktop). I have almost 2,500 actions, although I guess that includes completed items as well.

I would like some advice on (a) whether I should keep my completed items around for any reason--it would be pretty sweet to someday get a log of I-did-this-on-that-day, and (b) is it just a matter of deleting individual items? Is there a more automatic way, to perhaps delete everything completed more than, whatever, two months ago? I would presume that this is something only the ninjas could do...

Thank you.

Thanks for contacting us! I know the support ninjas have a feature request open on the ability to purge older completed items from the database.

If you contact them, they can vote that request up on your behalf and also help you clear those items out of the database more quickly than you'll be able to do it by hand.

Thanks Brian. I added my vote, although I'll admit it's moderately low on my OF Highest Priority Want List.