The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

So I've purchased most Omni product now - how do I get the output into a workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I really need to send OO to windows users who use word or maybe excel with columns that are formatted in an outline with columns. How do I do that? It seem ridiculous that you can create a workflow using OPML from a visual to an outline and then not be able to transfer it to either another user or another application for further development.

Word and Excel are used by all my clients. The OO program is great, particularly when translating from a min map of ideas - but where to from there? Can I get to the next stage with a table in word or and excel spreadsheet?

At the moment I'm trying to print to PDF and then convert but this is problematic. I've searched for a couple of hours now and can't find a solution.

OO does translate just the outline column but not anything else. If I just needed the primary outline column that does translate, I could just use Word.

Would appreciate any thoughts since I've purchased a bit hasty omni products that I thought would fit into my workflow.

If you don't mind me asking, what will happen to these outlines once handed off to the Word or Excel users? Are they mostly just going to be edited, or are they going to be heavily added to or expanded on into a non-outline? And, are you expecting to bounce files back and forth between you using OmniOutliner and them using Word/Excel?

We do hope to offer more export options in the future, and a better Excel format is one of them. But, for right now, there isn't a good option for passing off formatted multicolumn data that can be nicely edited. CVS is available for moving non-formatted data to Excel.

If you come to the decision you're not able to make use of OmniOutliner, we do offer a 30-day return guarantee and hopefully we can improved OO to fit your needs in the future - http://www.omnigroup.com/support/store/refunds/

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what will happen to these outlines once handed off to the Word or Excel users? Are they mostly just going to be edited, or are they going to be heavily added to or expanded on into a non-outline? And, are you expecting to bounce files back and forth between you using OmniOutliner and them using Word/Excel?

We do hope to offer more export options in the future, and a better Excel format is one of them. But, for right now, there isn't a good option for passing off formatted multicolumn data that can be nicely edited. CVS is available for moving non-formatted data to Excel.

If you come to the decision you're not able to make use of OmniOutliner, we do offer a 30-day return guarantee and hopefully we can improved OO to fit your needs in the future - http://www.omnigroup.com/support/store/refunds/

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
I intended that the outlines would just go to word or excel for editing and expansion on points. Not to come back to but I can see advantages for this in a workflow. My use of OmniOutliner would be a part of a workflow that starts with a mind map, goes to OmniOutliner to add details then into the next stage of developing a report.

Unfortunately I purchased OO for ipad and Mac thru the app store and iTunes so I don't think the 30 day guarantee would apply. I'd be happy to wait for a new version that could integrate to a workflow.

The 30 day guarantee DOES apply to purchases made through the App Stores — Omni issues you a refund directly, and eats Apple's cut. Don't believe me? See the first sentence of the page Derek mentioned.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-11-10 at 02:38 AM..