The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Export entries as documents Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to export an outline so you end up with a folder full of separate documents, each one containing one entry from the outline?

I have never come across any mention of this type of capability.

I guess you would have to use AppleScript to copy each section in turn to a new document and save it separately.

Years ago there was a program that beat most of the current outlining software available by a longshot. For some reason, the model was pretty much ignored and everyone went the way of standard linear outliners.

This program had some wonderful features which I've never seen anywhere else, including "burst" which took an entry consisting of a paragraph of text and split it into separate entries for each sentence. You could arbitrarily select any number of entries (not necessarily contiguous) and "unburst" them into a single entry. They had something called "binsort" which allowed you to quickly step through a series of entries and put them in different categories (you can do this in any outliner, but this was particularly elegant). You could select a group of entries and randomize the order (this was for brainstorming, helping you to find less obvious relationships, etc.). There were a number of other features as well that facilitated the thinking process.

Last edited by stan; 2007-04-02 at 05:50 AM..

Since my previous post I've discovered that the program is still around. It's called Maxthink:

http://www.maxthink.org/indexflash.htm

The website is minimal and does not really tell you much about the features. And unfortunately, it is Windows only. I'm actually trying to figure out how to install Windows on my Mac just to run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan
Is there a way to export an outline so you end up with a folder full of separate documents, each one containing one entry from the outline?
There's no built-in option to do this, but could be done with AppleScript.