The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travel checklist: How do I create a template that doesn't repeat regularly? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find myself creating the same list of things I need to do before I travel over and over again. Is there a way to set it up once and pull it up every time I'm getting ready for a trip? It's not something I do every week/month, etc.

Make a copy of the checklist and put it on hold. When you need it, select it, duplicate it with Edit->Duplicate and set it to be active.

For a more advanced version, check out Curt Clifton's Populate Template Placeholders script which will let you specify arguments to fill in the blanks. http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html

Cool, thanks!

As a regular user of the templates, I can't stress it enough that the placeholder system would be great to integrate this directly into OF. Having the lists on hold in a folder on hold is ok, but not really clean. It gets in the way in some perspectives.

Btw. below I list a just recently released book on the topic of checklists. I can really recommend it:

Atul Gawande, "The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right". Metropolitan Books, 2009.

What I do (idea stolen shamelessly from Curt) is keep the templates in a folder which is dropped. I have a separate perspective which only shows the contents of that folder in a new, minimally sized window for when I want to use one.

Doesn't a dropped folder get archived? Will a dropped folder with an active project in it also get archived?