The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews of OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I suppose I could do a complex Google search, but have there been any major reviews written since the 1.0 release?

If it hasn't been done already, maybe Omni should gather them together, since I bet it'd be mostly positive feedback anyway.

There was a series on several GTD applications on View from the Dock. The conclusion, pointing to the reviews, is here: http://www.viewfromthedock.com/2008/...t-app-wrap-up/

Here is a new thread over at Ars about the different GTD apps (posted my pimp for OF)

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/784003540931

BZ

I've felt compelled to say this for a while.. but, I am having usability issues with this product and just can't quite nail it down to what the issues actually are.. if that makes any sense? (it may not)

Aesthetically I believe it needs work to be more Mac-like, it just doesn't 'seem' as friendly as other great Mac apps that I have bought over the last couple of years. Ease of use leaves something to be desired. For reference to what I mean look @ things or midnight inbox. While they may not be as all-encompassing as omnifocus the hurdle to complete usage seems to be lower.

I bought the app pre-launch and have invested a fair bit of time with it, but for some reason I am left wanting..

Well, those are my thoughts.. I am not about to dump the app, but I am not 100% satisfied either. Personally, I am glad I didn't pay the launch price. All IMHO and YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
I suppose I could do a complex Google search, but have there been any major reviews written since the 1.0 release?

If it hasn't been done already, maybe Omni should gather them together, since I bet it'd be mostly positive feedback anyway.

OF has a LOT of power uses but that takes time. It takes time to set up your perspectices, folders, learn the key commands for the short cuts.

I agree, it took me about a month after it went 1.0 to really get into it, to figure out all the little bits and peices and to feel like I had gone from just doing to getting things done.

I felt the same way about Kinkless. It had tons of power, lots of neat little tricks, but none was very obvious.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkright View Post
Aesthetically I believe it needs work to be more Mac-like, it just doesn't 'seem' as friendly as other great Mac apps that I have bought over the last couple of years. Ease of use leaves something to be desired. For reference to what I mean look @ things or midnight inbox. While they may not be as all-encompassing as omnifocus the hurdle to complete usage seems to be lower.
Frankly, I'm surprised to read this (although, it isn't the first time I've seen this criticism of OmniFocus). I'm surprised because my initial reaction to OmniFocus was almost the complete opposite: OmniFocus seemed more intuitive and Things felt (and looked) confusing.

I picked up OmniFocus in the late alpha stages and almost immediately felt comfortable. There were some powerful features that weren't immediately obvious, but understanding those wasn't necessary in getting started. I just stuck with the basics at first. In the following weeks, I learned a little more each day, and I adapted my workflow as I went. Now, I feel quite comfortable in the app, even with the complex features. I have absolutely no regrets over my choice.

I don't know why some people seem to have trouble with OmniFocus while others pick it up right away. Maybe it has something to do with pervious experience in OmniOutliner? Or maybe we just think differently? It would be interesting to know what it is specifically that is troubling you.

From a GTD app point of view, Omni elected to make OF more like Photoshop, and less like Photoshop Elements. This isn't a problem per se, but it is when it comes to expectations. If people come in expecting the latter and getting the former, then you are going to get some of the complaints that we see here all the time.

It has been said before, but it probably is worth repeating. OF is a tool for automating the project and task management aspects of the GTD methodology. GTD itself takes time to wrap your head around, especially if you come from a priority and due date centric day planner background. This is why folk like funkright see apps like midnight inbox as easier to use. It gives them GTD training wheels. This is an area where OF needs to improve; or, at a minimum, Omni needs to think about providing better supporting material for those new to GTD (tutorials or videos?).

If you are already using GTD, then picking up OF is not that difficult. You may need to ask a few questions; and, something that most Mac users are not used to doing, you may need to crack the manual or access Help. However, most users should be comfortable with the basics in a few days, and jamming in a few weeks.

The "jamming in a few weeks" part just doesn't jibe with many Mac users. It is not what they are used to in a seemingly simple app, especially if all they really want is a simple task list app. Here is where the price should actually be helping. It should encourage such users to look elsewhere; but, again - like Photoshop, price alone is not keeping them from buying OF.