The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Grouped objects in diagram styles = frustration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I need help with developing a diagram style that uses grouped objects. The in-app help brushes over this, saying you should use them when importing OmniOutliner docs with multiple columns, but that's about as far as they go.

Things I've seen are --
* No way to set order of grouped objects without affecting position/layering
* "Topic" as default text sometimes overwrites a field that wasn't previously named "topic."
* Importing from OO assigns text appropriately but applies the same text style to all objects, overwriting those of the diagram style
* Reapply Diagram Style doesn't appear to work for grouped objects (in this case, as a follow-up for a OO import)

Is there someone who has experience making diagram styles like this here, or is there a good online resource (which I have yet to uncover on Google) that can explain how to simply:

1. group three objects together: "Topic", "Number", "Code"
2. arrange this one grouped object into an outline with magnets and lines
3. create a new diagram with this style
4. start typing into the outline and ALWAYS have the default target be the "Topic" object
5. do not modify in anyway the other objects that are grouped with it when it duplicates the object

I'm willing to skip the import step right now as long as I can just manage the Topics in outline form without it screwing around with text focus/default values.

Thanks!

Namtastic, I'm not on the OmniGraffle team - I don't actually know the answer to this. If you email the support ninjas, you're guaranteed a response from someone more knowledgeable than I. :-)

(We collectively browse the forums as we're able to do so, but we can't guarantee that a given post will get seen.)

Just dropped them an email. Thanks, Brian. Will return with the answer.

Did you ever get an answer from support? I'm seeing the exact behavior you describe and would love a solution.