The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni file format Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, this is kind of a general question across all OmniGroup's products. It's about the package file format that the Omni products all seem to use. I've found this format to be a huge pain anytime I need to share any of my outlines or graffle files, and since we use these products at work, we need to share these docs pretty often.
So far, I've found that I can't e-mail them, back them up on our subversion system that we use to share files (omni files really mess up subversion), post them on any wiki products we've tried. Some online backup services like Box.net that I've tried so I can access the file anywhere doesn't work either.
I know you can just zip up the file, but this gets really annoying when you're sharing these files really often. Is there any reason Omnigroup needs to use this format? Are there any plans to move to a regular format that doesn't suffer from these problems? I would love to be able to share these files more easily!

It would be nice if OmniOutliner could transparently compress the whole package, rather than just the XML file. I think OpenDocument basically works that way.

As for source control, have you tried disabling compression?

Hey guys, I found a blog post that addresses this issue for Omnigraffle. There's a terminal command that will make Omnigraffle save in a normal file format rather than the bundle. Anyone know if there's a similar command to do this in OmniOutliner?

http://www.davidglasser.net/point/20...thout-sadness/

Last edited by random1destiny; 2007-09-25 at 11:21 AM..

Hi, sorry no, OmniOutliner does not have a similar command to write out as a flat file.

We store our files using SVN and made changes a long ago to make sure that it does work. If you're having trouble with it then we might able to help you get that straightened out. You should be storing OO files as a regular folder in SVN. Feel free to send me and email at omnioutliner@omnigroup.com if you want to take this off-forums.

While poking around the OmniOutliner dictionary in the Script Editor, I found the writes wrapper property of the document class. If you set this to true, then the document will be saved as a single file, rather than a package. However, if you add any attachments, the document will revert to a package. Also, this setting does not seem to propagate from templates to new documents.