The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Css editor ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Bah , old idea now.. been trying FOREVER to get someone to make it...

A Visual CSS tweaking tool. A tool to let me use handels to edit the margin and padding of a div box or whatnot. Kinda like a WYSIWYG tool but this one is smart in using real code structure of CSS instead of mishmash code...

Not dreamweaver.. Just an idea. Any thoughts ?

Personally, I like writing it by hand. I can think it out better than a "WYSIWYG" editor does.

I know.. please do not mistake the idea for a WYSI.... tool.. I don't want it to be a full on dreamweaver tool. just a way to quickly and effectivly edit the contraints of a css box and the surrounding boxes with proper and smart margins and paddings..

What I find in editing (tweaking) a page I have worked on,, is that code gets tiresome on the eyes after not to long. I just want to click and drag a margin a few and a padding a few.. And also see visually where problem areas are ocuring ... I know wysi... is never real... I know hacks must be done. that will never go away.. But as a designer/programmer to much code reading hunting is tiresome...

here ya go

Why not try FreeWay Pro? You do the design, it generates the code (AFAIK) including CSS.

Tacitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Why not try FreeWay Pro? You do the design, it generates the code (AFAIK) including CSS.

Tacitus
Cause freeway pro is a bloated buggy mess of***&.
Besides it does not do this.. I know, I was a paid customer that waited with baited breath for 4 to see anger instead...

It's a simple idea, what else can I say about it ? How else can I explain vissual css ? It's only focused on css not full on web design. It's more of a framework that could in theory could be added into any cocoa webdesign app like taco or Rapidweaver...

FWIW, although it doesn't exactly do what you are asking, the blocks plugin for Rapidweaver from www.yourhead.com goes part of the way there. Perhaps drop the developer a line to see if he could code what you are looking for.

Edit: Naturally, the big bear in the room is IE6 which would screw up any WYSIWYG design that was done to web standards. The app would have to explicitly produce the screwy code need to make it IE6 compatible which may not make it something trivial to develop.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-08-21 at 10:56 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
FWIW, although it doesn't exactly do what you are asking, the blocks plugin for Rapidweaver from www.yourhead.com goes part of the way there. Perhaps drop the developer a line to see if he could code what you are looking for.

Edit: Naturally, the big bear in the room is IE6 which would screw up any WYSIWYG design that was done to web standards. The app would have to explicitly produce the screwy code need to make it IE6 compatible which may not make it something trivial to develop.

Well I did try and email him, and at first I thought he knew what i was talking about. but then any conversation stopped...

It's funny, I would care less if someone stole teh idea and made it.. As long as it's made I am happy, now it would be nice to hear from whoever makes it cause I have more design ideas for the tool and it's interface. But it's to long to point ot if no one will ever help me..

How do I get a developer? I just don't seem to have luck with making this idea clear enough..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
Have you already tried CSSEdit and Style Master?
Yes I have. CSSEdit Not the visual tool I am after, to much of a code hacking sort still.
Great for making them, and hacking them, but not a visual design canvas tool..

Style Master just simply a mess. Not trying to be harsh, it's just like 'YIKES"

i'm after a very slick sleek design of an app, with as few menus as possible and focus JUST on design in a visual programming sense, ... The design makes more sense when you know what your limtaions are and how you have to work with them to layout a page semantically, instead of photoshop slices...

It's like you design better when you know what the hurdles are that you have to work within..

Example: a one image liquid div border. This is not possible in photoshop design. And is usealy a hack otherwise. And the hack does not go away, but seeing it in this tool would be gold

Last edited by tripdragon; 2006-08-23 at 05:40 AM..