The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Something's not right with the way contexts are displayed in context mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I am using Omnifocus 1.8 sneaky peek (v77.60 r137069).When I am in the context mode with my filters set at the following values
Grouping: Context
Sorting: Project
Availability: Available
Estimated time: Any duration
I see only the sub context name displayed without the main context they fall under.

For example, I have got a sub context called "Calls" under both "Home" and "Work" contexts. In earlier versions of Omnifocus (1.7 and earlier), I was able to see the context displayed as "Main Context>Sub Context". Instead of the "Calls" sub context being displayed as "Calls" as in Omnifocus 1.8, it used to be displayed as "Home>Calls".

I was wondering how I can get this functionality back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ram

Ram - if you open the "General" pane of OmniFocus' preferences, is the "Show Full Hierarchy" box checked? If not, does checking it put the columns back the way you'd like to see them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Ram - if you open the "General" pane of OmniFocus' preferences, is the "Show Full Hierarchy" box checked? If not, does checking it put the columns back the way you'd like to see them?
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the "show full hierarchy" box checked under the "general" pane in Omnifocus' preferences. I tried unchecking the box and rechecking it again without any effect on how the contexts are displayed.

I am including a screenshot of what I see.

Thanks.

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Context hierarchy.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1523  

I think that checkbox controls the project and context columns, not the group headers. Your screenshot shows this: the context column shows the parent and child, but the group does not. I'm also seeing the same behavior in 1.8, though I don't recall whether the full context hierarchy was shown in group headings in 1.7.5.

In project mode, grouped by folder, the headers do show nested folders.

Probably worth emailing the ninjas with a bug report/feature request that group headings show full hierarchy in context mode. (Grouping by project in context mode also gives groups without hierarchy.)

Curt

Personally I like the current behavior in the 1.8SP, but like Curt I cannot recall when the info displayed in the header was changed. I also turn off the preference to show the full hierarchy in the columns. I'm wondering if modifying the preference setting so that it toggles the display of the full hierarchy in both headers and columns would be preferable?

Hello Curt and Greg,

Thanks for your comments. I reinstalled Omnifocus 1.7.5 (v77.41.6.r121031) and noticed that the context mode indeed displays the context hierarchy in group headings. I first encountered the absence of this behavior when the first version of Omnifocus 1.8 sneaky peek released and switched back to using version 1.7.5 thinking that the issue would be corrected in subsequent releases.

I personally prefer having the context hierarchy being displayed in the context mode since some of the perspectives I have contain tasks with the same sub context name, but different parent contexts.

I am posting a screenshot of the context mode with the hierarchy displayed in the group headings.

Thanks

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Context Hierarchy in Omnifocus 1.7.5.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1524  

I'm going to operate from the assumption that this is a bug and write it up as such. If someone corrects me in the bug database, I'll let you know that it's a feature. :-)