The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How many "webkits" are out there? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,
I just dont get it: Both Safari and OW are based on the same basis called "webkit" but there are often pages which are displayed in a different manner in both browsers? How many version of these kits are out there and who is using the more recent versions - Apple or Omni?

However most differences are visible for me when it comes to Javascripts. Actually right now I have to abandon OW for a while as I need several work related pages where OW just gives empty pages but Safari is doing fine. All these pages call javascript routines.

Is javascript part of these "webkits"???

Thanks, Mika

There is one webkit project, but a new revision is released nightly. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika33
How many version of these kits are out there and who is using the more recent versions - Apple or Omni?
Safari 2.0.4 uses a relatively old version of webkit.
The Webkit "nightlies" use the absolute newest version of webkit -- updated nightly as mentioned above.
Safari 3 betas and OmniWeb 5.6 sneaky peeks fall somewhere in between. I'm not sure at the moment who's using a newer build. But by the time OmniWeb 5.6 and Safari 3 are both final, they'll probably be using very similar versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The Webkit "nightlies" use the absolute newest version of webkit -- updated nightly as mentioned above.
which proably is of zero use for me as a user as what should I do with a "webkit" without a browser :-)

So is Javascript part these kits? Thats were I have the most problems with OW?

Thanks, Mika

WebKit is an open source project available to anyone. They post webkit nightly apps that anyone can launch. the nightly starts a special instance of Safari that uses that particular revision of WebKit. You can download them here:

http://nightly.webkit.org/

Safari 2.0.4 uses a much older version of WebKit that is part of the system by default.

OmniWeb 5.5.4 uses a customized version of the engine that allows some of our custom features that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

Safari 3 uses a newer version of WebKit that gets installed onto the system when you download and install this version of Safari.

OmniWeb 5.6 Sneaky Peeks also use a newer (custom) version of WebKit that we update frequently.

This is all the same WebKit but OmniWeb is just using a particular 'revision' of the in development version of WebKit.