The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Email elephant in the room Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been running this for a while now on OS X and iOS and the only thing missing in my opinion is to be able to forward an email to a dedicated email address to have it appear in the inbox.

My Evernote does it beautifully. I know if I am a Mensa Gold Member I can set up various rules etc and if I have Mail running on a mac somewhere 24/7 it will use some sort of rule based thingy... but. Why can't we simply have an address to forward to?

I would pay. Having said that though, I have paid top weight for this software compared to the rest of the ones available. ie Mac, iphone and ipad.

I reckon there would be a heap of people who would happily flick emails onto their inbox????

I second the idea of being able to create a dedicated email address to which to email tasks. Would be very helpful.

Features like this are one of the things that the Omni Sync Server make easier to add at some point in the future. In the meantime, check this thread for info which may be helpful.

If you're running OS X Mail, you can easily set up the filter that moves emails that match a certain pattern into OF's Inbox. It's not hard at all. As a matter of fact, OF will do it FOR you. And yeah, the Mac does have to be on, but even if it's not, everything will get processed next time it does come on.

I very regularly forward emails from my iPod Touch to the special OF address I set up and find that in short order my Mac gets them and on next OF sync, they're back inmy OF inbox on Mac and iPod. Only hitch is that Mac OF only syncs 1x/hr.

Maybe you don't use Mail regularly, but if this is a feature you really want, it might be worth leaving it running in the background -- at least until email forwarding is implemented in a self-contained way.

Last edited by avandelay; 2011-07-13 at 02:02 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandelay View Post
Only hitch is that Mac OF only syncs 1x/hr.
It's only 1x/hr in the absence of any changes being made. If a change is made to the database (such as by an email being converted to an action), by default it will sync 1 minute later. The problem is really on the mobile end, which doesn't know to sync again if you aren't actively making changes. If you have reason to suspect there might be something new, you can tap the sync button manually, of course. Note that you have the same problem in the other direction if you have been making changes on iPod/iPad/iPhone — the desktop doesn't know to sync sooner, so it doesn't necessarily pick up those changes right away.

It is possible to configure OmniFocus (mobile or desktop) to have a shorter or longer period between syncs, and to change the period between a change being made and the next sync. See this post for details.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-07-12 at 11:29 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It's only 1x/hr in the absence of any changes being made. If a change is made to the database (such as by an email being converted to an action), by default it will sync 1 minute later.
Great to know, thanks.

I'd also add that, if you're using Mail and have the "Clip-O-Tron" extension installed (via OF's "clippings" prefs), you can also right-click any message and send it to OmniFocus's inbox straight away. Between that and the mail forwarding rule, I can't see how it could be much easier.