The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Request: Return after entering duration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi-

When roughing in durations early in a project I tend to scope things in whole days. For this its easiest to use the duration entry fields rather than dragging the bars, which tend to work in too small increments. (Maybe hold shift while dragging could constraint to whole days or something? It's just too much fussing to deal with 0.5 hr increments.) My natural inclination is to press Return after entering that number to get out of the field. But this also creates a new task underneath, which may not be what I want. I'd like it if the Return only caused a new task below when I'm entering task names. Ideall, hitting Return in the Duration field would pop you down to the next line and highlight it, ready to go. That way I can quickly run through that column and adjust everything.

(BTW, what's the point of the option-return ability to add another line to the Duration field, seems like an OO holdover rather than something useful here?)

Cheers,

Adam

If you zoom out in the gantt view, until a month is about 2 inches wide, when you drag tasks, they'll change in 1 day increments.

How about the "snap to grid" metaphor, same as (e.g.) Omnigraffle, with a way to toggle on a per-drag basis? That's a common Mac metaphor.

Then the grid could be a function of your zooming...no that would be too confusing. The other way: have a "zoomer" for the grid itself.

Hmm, I can see why a program like OG or MSProject in later versons can look so overwhelming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
If you zoom out in the gantt view, until a month is about 2 inches wide, when you drag tasks, they'll change in 1 day increments.
OK, got it.

Adam

I work on change managment programmes spanning several years. The small duration I work with is a day, as the vast majority of chnage related tasks cannot be given a more accurate timescale. It would be great to be able to set the default value to a day irrespective of the zoom level.