The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Setting up calendar alerts in OmniFocus for iPhone [Retired: use local notifications] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
:(

Okay, I have tried to wade through this. Been avoiding doing it, but then saw a post on tuaw that was critical of it and decided to bite the bullet.

I have been using Swissdisk for a while to sync. I followed the instructions and it all seemed so simple until I got to the point of "Subscribe to Calendar"
and when I tapped that I got,

---
Cannot Subscribe
Could not subscribe to the calendar
"DueSoon.ics" from
"disk.swissdisk.com".
----

I have tried to wade through the comments but not sure if any of it is relevant. I logged in to my swissdisk account and see that there is a new file created there called "DueSoon.ics" that appear fine.

I am at a loss what to do.

update: I tried what Marcopolo suggested
mail
https://disk.swissdisk.com/YOURUSERNAME/DueSoon.ics
and it did successfully subscribe my iPhone iCal to Reminders calendar on swissdisk but it did NOT change what happens above when I go into Omnifocus. It does NOT solve the problem I have described. Still get the same message above when trying to subscribe in Omnifocus settings.

Last edited by kbs1138; 2009-08-07 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs1138 View Post
:(

Okay, I have tried to wade through this. Been avoiding doing it, but then saw a post on tuaw that was critical of it and decided to bite the bullet.

I have been using Swissdisk for a while to sync. I followed the instructions and it all seemed so simple until I got to the point of "Subscribe to Calendar"
and when I tapped that I got,

---
Cannot Subscribe
Could not subscribe to the calendar
"DueSoon.ics" from
"disk.swissdisk.com".
----

I have tried to wade through the comments but not sure if any of it is relevant. I logged in to my swissdisk account and see that there is a new file created there called "DueSoon.ics" that appear fine.

I am at a loss what to do.

mail
and it did successfully subscribe my iPhone iCal to Reminders calendar on swissdisk but it did NOT change what happens above when I go into Omnifocus. It does NOT solve the problem I have described. Still get the same message above when trying to subscribe in Omnifocus settings.
The following worked for me:

Press 'Settings' then 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars.'
Select 'Add Account' then 'Other'
Select 'Add Subscribed Calendar'
Type https://disk.swissdisk.com/YOURUSERNAME/DueSoon.ics
Then enter Username and Password
DONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs1138 View Post
Sorry for the confusion, KBS1138 - once you subscribe to the calendar via the separate process that Marcopolo suggested, the step you're having a problem with is no longer required.

Basically, that method is works around the problem by subscribing you in a different way. It doesn't fix the problem that's preventing OmniFocus from doing so, but the end results should be the same. OmniFocus creates calendar events when it syncs, and the calendar app grabs them.

Hi Brian,
I switched from mobileme to swissdisk. But i had to do a manual subscription from ipone settings as stated in this thread. I do get all the alerts. But with mobileme my alerts would be removed once the time/day passed. It seems like with swissdisk, it is not deleting old alerts. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ajay556, my understanding is that each sync of the phone should update the calendar for the any uncompleted events that have due dates attached. Once the action has been completed, deleted, or had the due date changed, OmniFocus will push the change to the calendar file with your next sync.

How quickly the calendar app picks up on the change depends on your settings in
Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Fetch New Data
of course.

I've got push notification on, and when I make a change in OmniFocus, sync it, and then switch to the Calendar app, I see the new due date in the Calendar pretty much straight away. I'm using MobileMe, though.

Question for Ajay556: what exactly are you seeing? Items that are rescheduled have notifications at both the old and new times? Items that are completed early still notify you, even after you sync OmniFocus? Something else?

Question for other folks on the forums: if you're also using SwissDisk, are you seeing this behavior as well?

Just a feature request relevant to this… Omni Focus will be my perfect app when I can set the reminders to any period I want (like 3 days before) and then reset them as they come up so that I have advance notification & still have reminders as the due date draws near… Until then I'm stuck with Now Up to Date for to do's that require this type of reminder & now iPhone part ;-( Love the product, would just like to see this added…

Fixed it! Never mind. Love this app

Last edited by Mango Himself; 2009-09-12 at 10:54 AM..

Fantastic. Just what I wanted. Merci a mille fois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalFool View Post
Just a feature request relevant to this… Omni Focus will be my perfect app when I can set the reminders to any period I want (like 3 days before) and then reset them as they come up so that I have advance notification & still have reminders as the due date draws near… Until then I'm stuck with Now Up to Date for to do's that require this type of reminder & now iPhone part ;-( Love the product, would just like to see this added…
No problem there. Upon being notified open the task and just change the date and time to the new one. What's the difficulty in that?

On the iPhone, the Calendar app won't let you set an alarm that is more than 2 days before the event - does this count as a difficulty? ;)

I hate that app!