The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Help with Images for Web Site Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi. I am a Graffle Pro owner and a website owner, but without photoshop/drawing image skills.

I love the way I can create a simple image in graffle - let's say, an internal notice or ad or button for my site. However, I am not at all certain that I am
- formatting
- configuring
- exporting
these images in an optimal format. I get either files that are too big to put on a website or too low quality.

Does anyone have advice on a simple, best practice methodology way of saving Graffle-created images for a Website or can point to a resource for this.

Thanks, from a underutilizing Graffle fan
cheers

For the web, always export at 72 dpi resolution.

If you are exporting as jpg, note the compression slider. I usually place the compression slider ALMOST all the way to the right (i.e., minimum compression). You have to be very careful using Preview to crop the photo. If you just click "save", Preview will save with LOTS of compression and ruin the image. So, you have to do "save as" and fix the compression.

Alternately, you can export as png, and that always works out great, especially if you want transparent backgrounds.

I have found that Image Tricks works great in combination with OG because the OG exported images almost always need some cropping or editing after export.

Our maps, the clickable map on the home page and the title image on our site, http://walki-talki.com, were produced by yours truly on Omnigraffle, as was the graphical navigation bar on the left side of http://www.samuraivillage.com

Payam

Last edited by philonous; 2007-07-19 at 03:14 PM..

Thank-you Philonous. That was helpful.

Ian

You're welcome.

Payam is the real name. Philonous is just a handle, but I suppose both are equally foreign in the Western world.

:)

I should add that you can use the File-->New From Clipboard option in Image Tricks to copy and past your graphics from OG, apply your effects, and copy and paste back into OG. I don't remember if Image Tricks supports trackback.

Payam