The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

64-bit test builds of OmniWeb now available Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks for the new builds and breathing life back into my preferred and default web browser.

I have an inordinate number of crashes with the last couple of builds trying to play embedded Flash video. Unfortunately, the Omni Crash Catcher is also barfing, so I have to Force Quit both it and the browser and cannot submit the report. Happens reproducibly with any embedded YouTube video at Upworthy.com, for example. Some, but not all, embedded videos on Facebook as well.

BTW, I also use OW specifically for the visual tab drawer, so I consider this a keeper.

Installed the Mavericks GM and discovered there were all sorts of sites I couldn't log into any more using 5.10.2 ... Twitter, Facebook and Fetlife (NSFW!) for starters.

Came to the forums looking to see if this had been discussed; instead found sneaky new 64 bit builds; grabbed the newest, and I can log in at those websites again. Weird.

I ran into a couple of issues with this version of OW. This was in 10.8.5 on a QC 2.8 Xeon Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM.

First, it would not load secure pages, for example https://www.macupdate.com/
It just seemingly did nothing.

Second, the preferences window would not show the Global Site Preferences, if I clicked the Appearance icon the part of the window beneath the menu bar would go blank until I clicked the Previous button on the menu bar to go back to one of the preferences above the bottom row. This was also true for the Ad Blocking, Languages, and Security panes.

Other than that it seemed to function pretty well, though I'm guessing that we will lose 1Password support (which of course is out of Omni's hands). Thank you for letting us test drive this release. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguirl View Post
First, it would not load secure pages, for example https://www.macupdate.com/
It just seemingly did nothing.
This works fine here (also Mac Pro, but Mavericks GM).

Quote:
Second, the preferences window would not show the Global Site Preferences
Yep, that's a known bug for all of us. :-)

Hmm, the builds have disappeared from the 'staging' site, or am I missing something?

I've been using my 64-bit 'untested' version for quite a while now, and it works rather well (only one crash in all the time, and of course the known limitations, but still far better than the old, 32-bit version).

Just curious, what is the state of affairs? What (if any) are the next steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbert View Post
Hmm, the builds have disappeared from the 'staging' site, or am I missing something?
Sorry about that! We switched some build servers around and none of the new servers were configured to build OmniWeb. That's fixed now, so there should be another build posted soon.

Quote:
I've been using my 64-bit 'untested' version for quite a while now, and it works rather well (only one crash in all the time, and of course the known limitations, but still far better than the old, 32-bit version).
Glad to hear it!

Quote:
Just curious, what is the state of affairs? What (if any) are the next steps?
Well, the very next step is to get the build server to post a new build. :)

But after that, we're still in the same situation as I described at the beginning of this thread, waiting for my next vacation. (Since then we've shipped three iOS 7 apps as well as OmniGraffle 6—and now we're working on shipping OmniOutliner 4 and OmniFocus 2 for Mac—but I'm hoping to take some time off around the end of the year.)

Good to hear this. I can absolutely live with the test version I have now, it's far better than the 32-bit one.

Just one thing - sorry for repeating - using the middle mouse button (or a tap with three fingers when using the MiddleClick application) for opening links in new tabs does not seem to work, any idea why?

Many thanks for all your work . Iam running OmniWeb 6 on OsX 10.8.5
and no Problems. It's like meeting an old friend again!
Except lack of 1Password. Wish they would sort that.

OW6. I'm totally nuts. Freude schöner Götterfunken... ;)

Are the latest builds now 10.9 Mavericks only? I can't run the most recent nightly (10/26) on 10.8.5.