The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Developer > Omni Frameworks
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Looking for OmniTimer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I am looking for OmniTimer.... someone on the cocoa-dev mailinglist gave the tip to check it out. However downloading the latest OmniFrameworks package did not include it. So what happened to it, if I may ask?

Anyway thank you for providing these wonderful frameworks!

André

I'm not familiar with it. Do you have a pointer to the message, for some more context?

I found a post about porting games to Mac OS X by a guy named Tim Wood talking about it, do you know him? :-)

Quote:
I'm not familiar with it. Do you have a pointer to the message, for some more context?
Of course... here you go:

link to the message on cocoa-dev

an article at cocoa dev central mentioning OmniTimer

Thanks again for replying.

André

Ok, I'm not sure exactly when we dropped it from the source code distribution, but I would guess it was when we moved to Xcode (so, quite a while ago). We haven't needed it since we stopped doing game ports, and looking in our repository I see that it's still an old Project Builder project instead of Xcode.

Tim says that it doesn't have 64-bit x86 support, and it uses the hardware time counter "which can be iffy with CPU speed scaling."

It's not obvious (I had to ask someone else here), but we do have archives of all our old releases online. In this case, the OmniTimer framework can be found here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...SX/Frameworks/

Looks like we had two releases of that framework; you'll probably want the second one as it's newer (but I don't know what if any changes there actually are between the two).

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for replying! And please excuse me posting again so late... I had to travel over the weekend.

I haven't yet looked at it (downloading just now), but I am sure it will come in handy. I am doing personal research on high resolution performance counting as it will enable me to time various things and become an overall better programmer in the process.

I always thought that using rdtsc within inline asm is preferable, because it should eliminate the call overhead for things like UpTime(). But yes, I noticed the speed stepping on my MacBook Pro. And looking at Apple's SIMD Primer example code (specifically ClockServices.c) made me realize that a lot more is needed for getting the most possible accuracy and I am very courious as to how you guys have done it.

Speaking of which, I find it awesome that you guys release portions of your code to the public so that others, like me, can learn. In these times it's invaluable and I am grateful for it. You have my vote anyday!

Thanks!

André