The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Delegated" as "Done" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have some tasks that must be delegated to others, where it doesn't always make sense to complete my process by adding an action step called "delegate" or by replacing a whole tree of actions to another with a singe action step called "delegate". Sometimes I'll be the one to do it, other times it will be another, and I don't necesarily feel like re-editing a task for my audit trail. The point of using GTD and OmniFocus is not to play around with the system, but to use it to get things done.

So, in that light, I've not found a way of making it so that I can mark a task delegated and that it be done in my own personal to-do list. Can someone suggest an approach that I can take? Is there some sort of "delegate to" feature, or some sort of work around that amounts to the same thing? Perhaps some sort of script, or I don't know... I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

The method I use to handle stuff like this is to create contexts for the various folks that I delegate stuff to.

When I delegate, the action gets moved to that context, and I have a reminder to check back with them about the state of that action. When they complete the action (or when I can just stop caring about it for some other reason) I mark the action as complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The method I use to handle stuff like this is to create contexts for the various folks that I delegate stuff to. [...]
Good idea. Simple rocks. Thanks.

I used to have a set of Contexts called "Agendas" and another called "Waiting For" and they both had sub-Contexts for nearly all the same people. The former was an active Context—akin to your Delegates group, and the later was "On Hold". Eventually, as those lists got longer, and I found I wanted to check on the Waiting For list more often, I opted for one active Context group and put the things I've delegated (and am waiting for) in the delegated person's context with start dates for when I expect them to be getting back to me. This is working more smoothly and I even use it for a "Waiting for : Delivery" context when I've got something coming in the mail, for example.

Last edited by pjb; 2008-12-18 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: typos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The method I use to handle stuff like this is to create contexts for the various folks that I delegate stuff to.

When I delegate, the action gets moved to that context, and I have a reminder to check back with them about the state of that action. When they complete the action (or when I can just stop caring about it for some other reason) I mark the action as complete.
Ok, so how do you create the reminder to yourself to check back with the person to whom you are delegating the task to?

Patriot

I think you're misreading. Brian moves the action to the @Joe (for example) context. That action in that context is the reminder. No additional reminder is needed.

Curt