The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ad blocking and the Gawker Family of sites Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The Gawker family of blogs updated their site structure recently and caused one of the default "Blocked URL" rules included with OmniWeb to prevent the stylesheet from loading.

If you visit any of these sites:

Consumerist Deadspin Defamer Fleshbot Gawker Gizmodo Gridskipper Idolator io9 Jalopnik Jezebel Kotaku Lifehacker Valleywag Wonkette

Then you may have encountered this problem. To fix it, just open your Ad Block preference pane. Click on Edit Blocked URLs List.... And in the lower table (the White List), add this rule:

Code:
gawker\.com.*style
Now OmniWeb will always allow anything that matches this rule which includes the stylesheets for the above sites and not much else.

Last edited by troyb; 2008-03-15 at 08:45 AM..

Still looks rubbish for me!! Everything's just stacked up - doesn't look like the layout sheet's being applied...I'll have a play with Ad Blocking a bit more and see if I can come up with anything else clever (!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebacon View Post
Still looks rubbish for me!! Everything's just stacked up - doesn't look like the layout sheet's being applied...I'll have a play with Ad Blocking a bit more and see if I can come up with anything else clever (!).
Same for me. I just hopped back on board for a bit to check out the beta. I love OW, but usually end up going back to Safari for its .Mac synchronization.

I generalized it slightly more and it should work now. You could go even further and just place "gawker\.com" in your white list since they don't appear to host any ads on that server just desired content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
I generalized it slightly more and it should work now. You could go even further and just place "gawker\.com" in your white list since they don't appear to host any ads on that server just desired content.
Nope!! Still the same... tried with lifehacker.com in the list as well just in case...but no luck.

Edit: But definitely an adblock problem (if I turn it all off then it works...) I'll have another go.

Edit again: Adding lifehacker\.com to the list made it work for me, as well as a similarly general Gawker one. Thanks!

Edit: NO it didn't!! Even with all the above in the whitelist it doesn't work (I forgot to refresh before).

Last edited by lukebacon; 2008-03-15 at 08:44 AM..

OK, After my crazy progression of ideas above, I've made it work (and it's simple). Add '.css' to the whitelist. Don't know what implications this could have for adblocking, but all it ought to do is unblock any CSS sheets...?

It should load most stylesheets but may let things that aren't stylesheets through. I'm not sure why the above options aren't working for you. (they should).

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
It should load most stylesheets but may let things that aren't stylesheets through. I'm not sure why the above options aren't working for you. (they should).
It must have been a fluke for me. I went back to a site (Lifehacker in this case) and it loaded fine. Go figure :P

Sorry to barge in here as I'm not an Omni user (yet). I am experiencing the same exact problem on these Gawker sites with each browser on my system (Firefox, Camino and Safari - all the latest builds) I've removed all firewalls and still no style sheet. Very perplexing.

edit to add:
DL'ed Omni (unlicensed); adding the suggested amendments to the white list and still no style sheet. >.<

Last edited by the tide; 2008-04-04 at 07:58 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tide View Post
Sorry to barge in here as I'm not an Omni user (yet). I am experiencing the same exact problem on these Gawker sites with each browser on my system (Firefox, Camino and Safari - all the latest builds) I've removed all firewalls and still no style sheet. Very perplexing.

edit to add:
DL'ed Omni (unlicensed); adding the suggested amendments to the white list and still no style sheet. >.<
Sounds like there's perhaps something upstream from you blocking the stylesheet.

The default black list in OmniWeb includes a rule that catches the path to the style sheet but this shouldn't normally be a problem for anyone that isn't using any ad blocking.