The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shared layers issues Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a document with 7 canvases, each has the same, single, shared layer in it.

I'm having two issues.

First, when I update the shared layer, the changes do not propagate. For example, I add a text field to the shared layer on the first canvas and I do not see that text field on any other canvases. Am I not supposed to?

Second, if I create a new shared layer on a canvas, and then try to copy it to another canvas by alt-dragging, the layer created on the second canvas gets an increment added to its name, so that it is not understood to be the same layer. In other words, Shared 2, when alt-dragged becomes Shared 3 in the second canvas.

I'm confused. How do I update a shared layer so all canvases with that layer get the update? And how do I add a new shared layer to my document after canvases exist and share that layer to all the canvases?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheiner View Post
First, when I update the shared layer, the changes do not propagate. For example, I add a text field to the shared layer on the first canvas and I do not see that text field on any other canvases. Am I not supposed to?
This works for me. I can update the shared layer from any canvas and it updates for all of them. (The thumbnails don't necessarily update immediately depending on what kind of change I do but it'll be in place once I select another canvas.)

Quote:
Second, if I create a new shared layer on a canvas, and then try to copy it to another canvas by alt-dragging [..]
Don't do that. Alt-dragging creates a new shared layer, not a reference to the existing one.

Quote:
How do I update a shared layer so all canvases with that layer get the update?
Just make sure you're actually editing the shared layer (the little pencil icon is visible on the shared layer's entry in the layer list) and don't have multiple copies of one original shared layer instead of only one.

Quote:
And how do I add a new shared layer to my document after canvases exist and share that layer to all the canvases?
Just move the shared layer to the new canvas. Don't press alt or anything.

I'm guessing you and I have come across the same issue: we've copied the shared layer instead of creating a reference.

I did this once and was quite confused. The Alt-drag isn't what you do, it's just a drag to the new canvas. Shared layers have the same name across canvases.

If you have something like "Shared Layer 1", "Shared Layer 2", etc then you have duplicated the layer and they are not the same layer.

Hope that helps.

-- Morgan