The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Future of OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We plan to add 64-bit support to OmniWeb 5.x. (That might not have been our plan when OmniWeb 6 was coming sooner, but that's our plan now.)
That's wonderful news!
I know others have already stated the same thing, but I wanted to add a Me Too Ken: I would happily pay for a v6 (or 5.5 or 5.2). OmniWeb is a great browser and I keep on thinking it deserves active development.

Corentin

It would be interesting to see OW updated nightly by the WebKit group, the way their version of Safari is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Zappe View Post
Now that's really good news! Thanks for the info!
Yes, it surely is!! :)

I used OmniWeb for the first time way back on Mac OS X Server (Rhapsody). I used it regularly up until Safari came out. I recently started using it again, and I'd forgotten how great it really is. Much better than Safari. I hope that Omni doesn't let it die on the vine.

A 64 bit Snow Leopard and Lion compatible version would be awesome. I'd even pay for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We plan to add 64-bit support to OmniWeb 5.x. (That might not have been our plan when OmniWeb 6 was coming sooner, but that's our plan now.)
It would be great if you released a 64 bit version in time for 10.7.

OmniWeb user experience is the top, like most of the Mac-style - with its competitors such as Firefox is - but this experience is to pay the costs. In most browsers are free now, this browser is required to pay for software licenses. Currently, OmniWeb 5.8 costs $ 14.95, while the older version of the browser upgrade, then you need $ 4.95.

Even if you do not want to pay to use the browser, I still recommend that you download and use the software (free 30-day use). Speaking to pay for the browser, it may be a bit difficult for ordinary people to accept, but if you after a trial period, you may find value for money.

Hyacinth, that is not correct anymore. OmniWeb is available for free since version 5.9!

I'm so glad to hear a 64 bit version is hopefully coming soon.

I'd been using Safari with all kinds of plugins like safaristand, pithhelmet, etc..... Just didn't like the look and feel and it wasn't particularly stable. Then switched to Chrome. Much to commend it, but didn't like the way it uses resources and it has a LOT of rendering problems for some reason. Won't properly work with either twitter or facebook, for some reason. So I'd also have to keep Camino up and running to take care of those pages Chrome couldn't handle properly.

Accidentally launched OmniWeb this morning and thought what the heck, let's see if it feels that much slower than Chrome. And honestly, it doesn't. It may benchmark slower, but it feels comparable. And it just is SUCH a better user experience.

just switched my default browser back to OW. Feels good to be home, hope I can stay awhile.

The drawer rocks!!! OW - don't listen - keep it around - at least as an option.

Just keep going, guys! I've been very happy with what I have seen so far. And, yes, I would pay for the software. Nowadays a web browser is such a fundamental tool, actually for many people the tool they work with most of the day, why then not pay for it if it does a better job than others?

One comment on rendering performance. I don't see the point in those speed rankings. The differences are often not noticable for the user. What counts much more nowadays is slick handling of many tabs and stability and usability in general. I like the tab handling of OW very much. The workspaces are a great idea. I usually have more than 40 tabs open, often - e.g. when we're bugfixing at work - it's even many more. The memory footprint of the software has remained moderate, and the program has crashed once in 5 days nonstop operation (I don't even shutdown my laptop, just put it to sleep mode instead). That's one crash too many, but still far better than others.

Last edited by mbert; 2011-10-01 at 04:21 AM..