The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pending Projects filter added today Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A new projects filter, Pending Projects, was added today. At the same time, the meaning of the Active Projects filter was changed.

[rest of post is a dup, but I thought I had data loss and wanted to post something at the top level]

It seems that only active projects without start dates or with start dates in the past appear in the Active filter. All those projects, plus those with future start dates appear in the Pending filter.

I also have a couple of projects that don't show in Active filter even though the projects don't have a start date. It appears the OF is looking at the start dates of contained tasks. This is unexpected and the implementation is buggy. Both of these projects include actions that are available now. There are just other parallel actions that start in the future.

For clarity, an active project without a start date should show up in the Active Projects filter regardless of the start dates of the contained tasks.

In the meantime, I'm using the Pending Projects filter instead of Active Projects. The alternative would be to add start dates to all my projects.

Curt

Thanks for pointing this out Curt. I think this is going to be a key OF feature for me. As an example, I'm going on a Conference next week. To clear my screen of clutter, I'm moving the start date of projects to to the following week. This way, in the next few days, I can focus on the projects I NEED to get done before I leave. I'm just playing, but this seems like a good application of active vs. pending projects.

--------
It appears that if you create a NA with a start date in the past, your project will get bumped to active even if that project has a future start date. I like this.

However, if you a NA is due, it won't force a project to be marked as pending. I think I might prefer this. It seems that if any part of the project has a start or due date, the project should be bumped to active.

Last edited by steve; 2007-08-31 at 02:14 AM..

I'm quite confused by the new filter!

I have a project, "Install DSL", with two actions, the first of which has a start date in the future, the second which has no date. Neither of the actions are available, of course.

This project shows up in my Pending, but not in my Active filter.

On the other hand, a project to "Put up clocks" with no current actions (needs me to add a NA) shows up in my Active filter but not my Pending.

What do "Pending" and "Active" mean?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I also have a couple of projects that don't show in Active filter even though the projects don't have a start date. It appears the OF is looking at the start dates of contained tasks. This is unexpected and the implementation is buggy. Both of these projects include actions that are available now. There are just other parallel actions that start in the future.
This happened to me also. I spent considerable time searching backups to find what I thought was lost data only to find out now that the data was still there; it was just hidden without my knowledge.

I hope the Omni folks fix that soon.

Also, I think that, while changing the status of a project automatically from pending to active when the start date arrives would be good feature, making a project pending should be an affirmative act like marking it completed or putting it on-hold.

It sounds like we're calculating the effective start date of the project incorrectly: no start date should be equivalent to the distant past, not the distant future. We'll fix it! Today, I hope.

I think there's still some overall date related " oddities " going on .
I changed the due date on some single actions today that remained under the "yesterday " heading when sorted by due date .

I even tried re-starting the app and it didn't budge .

yay ! latest update seems to have fixed the issue with my stuck actions . : )

I tried the latest build (90598) and this problem still seems to be there.

I have a task with a review date of 8/30, one next action (no start date, purple), and one subsequent action with a start date of 9/4 (grayed out). If I show "Pending" projects, I see the project. If I show "Active" projects, I don't.

Worse, I can't find any way to make the (available) next action for this project visible in Context view! Selecting which projects are visible in project view seems to have no effect.

I have faith you guys will figure this out, but any chance you can do it yesterday? Using 90616:

* Project: Set up monthly cleaning appt. (6/20 due date, no start date)
* Action: Call to find available slots (8/20 start date, showing in purple as a next action).

Shows up under Pending; this *is* a bug, right? I'm not just misunderstanding how it should work?

The active and pending project filters should be fixed in the latest build (90636).