The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do Sub-Forums work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just noticed the Feature Requests and Bug Reports sub-forms listed above the index for this OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peek forum.

I'm puzzled by the relationship between this parent forum and the two sub-forums. When I open a sub-forum I see new/updated threads + a number of threads I've already read in this parent forum.

My first guess was this parent forum is general discussion + the two sub-forums. (That would be nice - just one place to see everything.) However, I just posted a new thread in the Bug Reports sub-forum, and it doesn't show up in here in the parent forum.

Last edited by Ward; 2006-04-17 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: fix typo

It was a recent change and they moved some existing threads into those boards.

Think of it like folders/directories in OS X. You've got a folder named "Sneaky Peek" and inside that one named "Bug Reports" and another named "Feature requests."

If the OmniForumMaster is collecting votes, I'll cast mine for a single Sneaky Peek forum because ...

1. I now have three forums to watch instead of one.

2. The distinction between a bug, feature and general comment is often in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
If the OmniForumMaster is collecting votes, I'll cast mine for a single Sneaky Peek forum because ...

1. I now have three forums to watch instead of one.
Well, the new message icon does help some. So when I view just the main board, I can see if the child boards have been updated. Additionally, I tend to watch the "new posts" page.

Quote:
2. The distinction between a bug, feature and general comment is often in the eye of the beholder.
Well, IMHO:
Bug - something that doesn't work as it did in 5.1.3 (and in the 5.5 case, something that does work in Safari or WebKit.)
Feature - something in addition to 5.1.3
General - "How do you organize your workspaces?" and other threads that don't fall under the above two.

However, I can't claim any unbiasedness: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=116

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I tend to watch the "new posts" page.
Since I'm a vBulletin newbie, I appreciate the heads-up.

I've reduced my OmniForums workspace to two tabs, the Sneaky Peak Release Notes and the New Posts listing.

Now, if I could limit my New Posts index to selected forums, I'd be a very happy camper. I see the New Posts index page is titled "Search Results." But Advanced Search does not appear to have a "new posts" search option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Since I'm a vBulletin newbie, I appreciate the heads-up.
No prob.

Quote:
Now, if I could limit my New Posts index to selected forums, I'd be a very happy camper.
That would be nice. There could be a way, I'm no vB expert.

Quote:
I see the New Posts index page is titled "Search Results." But Advanced Search does not appear to have a "new posts" search option.
The New Posts page is somewhat of an oddball. It's not really a page. It actually redirects one to a search page. The search string changes whenever a new post is made. I believe the title of "search results" is actually a mistake due to the redirect.