The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

European week of the year creation and viewing in OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to create tasks or projects according to the week(s) that the task or project is located in? Spanning by week numbers would also be nice. For example, a task that runs from Monday the 19th. of November - the start of week 47 - to Monday the 10th. of December - the start of week 50 can easily be set by spanning weeks 47 to 50. It also makes easier reference if tasks/projects were visible according to which week(s) of the year they are located in.

I don't think of OmniFocus actions or projects as being "located" in time. They can have a start date, and they can have a due date, but those are indications of when you can start to act on them and when you must finish them (or renegotiate the deadline).

I could see locating an action, or a project, in time in the sense of a critical path: that is, taking the due date and the estimated time for each action and then counting backwards to find the last feasible start date. There, though, you're getting into territory that might better be handled by OmniPlan, Merlin, or some other project manager with more robust features than OmniFocus.

Maybe for 2.0....

I agree that your view is probably that of the majority of OmniFocus and OmniPlan users at this time. There are also a lot of people that prefer to use AM and PM, rather than using a 24 hr. clock. No worries. However, imagine if the choice between using a 12 hr. and a 24 hr clock wasn't provided by Apple, Microsoft or Linux. There would be a lot of people that would find that rather irritating.

Europe is a relatively small, but growing Mac market. Providing calendar week "localization" would provide added usefulness and thereby added value to those of us that use it and can be ignored by those that choose not to use it, just like a 24 hr. clock localization.

I vote for ISO standard week numbering system.
Or at least the ability to synchronize OP date settings with the System Preferences settings.
Currently, I can't use the week numbers because they are all shifted compared to my Lotus Notes and System Calendars.

Thanks

Let me also vote for this. I used the ISO system during a few projects in Europe and actually find it a very good way to plan projects. A week is a nice unit of time for most project planning purposes. Always wondered why it's not more popular outside of Europe.

Bit off topic, but did anyone find a way to set the date to european standard? I mean from march/15/2010 to 15/march/2010?

Use the International panel in System Preferences to set your desired date format, then restart OmniFocus.

Thanks!