The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Columns - Each with it's own, separate bullets? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to have the second column be "un-attached" to the first, so that the rows in the second column can be moved around independent of the first?

An example of why this would be good: I wanted to compare the ingredients of two meal replacement drinks side-by-side. I realize I could itemize them in two separate outlines, but I would prefer a single outline named "Meal Replacement Drink - OLD vs. NEW".

Sorry, no, it's not possible to have independent columns. All columns must conform to the outline structure set by the main column. It sounds like though that you could do this in one document and create subtopics for ingredient categories and fill in the two columns. Just leave blank cells in one of the column when one section runs longer for one drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM
Sorry, no, it's not possible to have independent columns. All columns must conform to the outline structure set by the main column.
i would second this request. when you say 'not possible' does it mean impossible, or not planned for future implementation?

here's an example...

http://forums.omnigroup.com/attachme...1&d=1181384993

when planning agendas, or for teachers, planning classes. you may want to re-order activities, but obviously the sequence of times would remain constant. it would be great to be able to drag around the order of activities into new time slots. of course it would be possible to add the timings at the end, but if you're anything like me, you'll always think of 'improvements' right up to the last minute. this way the timings and empty cells in the main topic column could be saved as a very useful template. (i could think of scores of other uses - weekly schedules for example)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	columns.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	209  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kened
i would second this request. when you say 'not possible' does it mean impossible, or not planned for future implementation?
I don't mean either of those actually. I was simply saying you can't do this in OmniOutliner 3. It is a possibility for a future version.