The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.7 and memory management Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Go me - I think I was searching for John, not from you. Found your tickets no problem today. No cookie for Brian.

Looking at the crash reports from the final release of 5.7, and the ones from beta 2. The most recent crash report is a WebCore crash - the thread that went down doesn't appear to be touching any of our code.

The crash before that was touching our code - it looks like we died while saving out your workspace.

The one before that was indeed the flash plugin crashing and taking us down with it.

The crash before that was another WebCore crash.

In beta 2, we had another flash crash, a WebCore crash while we were in the process of switching tabs, another flash crash, and a crash where we couldn't gather information about the thread that died.

I know it's frustrating, but out of 8 crashes in the last 5 weeks, we have 1 crash that's completely our code, one where it's part ours and part webcore, two more crashes in webcode core, three flash plugin crashes, and one unknown.

In general, I'd say that you should make sure your flash plugin, your DivX plugin (I know that one has caused browser crashes in the past), and your XviD Codec plugins are all up to date and see if anything changes.

If updating those components doesn't resolve the crashes, can you try disabling the DivX and XviD plugins temporarily and see if that helps? (Another option would be to remove those plugins and install perian instead; I believe it supports those video formats as well as several others.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
In general, I'd say that you should make sure your flash plugin, your DivX plugin (I know that one has caused browser crashes in the past), and your XviD Codec plugins are all up to date and see if anything changes.

If updating those components doesn't resolve the crashes, can you try disabling the DivX and XviD plugins temporarily and see if that helps? (Another option would be to remove those plugins and install perian instead; I believe it supports those video formats as well as several others.)
More FAQ material ;)

The Flash plug in gets updated regularly.

I don't use the XviD codec, well, as far as I recall I don't.

I'll give Divx a look see, but I believe it's current.

Also, as I mentioned sometimes the crash brings the system down, so no crash report is generated.

SC

Hmmm... If the whole system goes down, there is normally either a bug in the OS or a hardware failure that is responsible for the problem.

Just a shot into the blue, but if you have problems with OW that lead to a system crash that you don't have with Safari, a possible explanation might be that OW takes up more memory than Safari does. If you run only the browser and nothing else, that might lead to OW using a corrupt memory bank that Safari won't use due to its smaller memory footprint.

Granted, if this is the case, you should experience random system crashes whenever you use software that takes up much memory, so this might not be too probable. But, still: System crashes are normally not related to the user-level software you run.

Best regards,

Christian