The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus-Mail Links Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Awesome! Thanks again Curt!

FYI – These scripts DO work with IMAP accounts.

Also: I have both OF scripts side by side. One is named "open in mail_NewW". The other is named "Open in mail_PPane". I get the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flynn
Nice work, good integration. Only problem—for me—is that the ID your script generates for messages in Mail only holds true while they are in the same mailbox (folder) within Mail. Move a message, and the link from OmniFocus no longer works. The Message IDs generated by zooids' original script, however, are unique to the message, and don't get broken when you move messages between mailboxes. I do really like being able to open linked messages within the preview pane of the main Mail window, but I think it's more important that the links continue to work, regardless of where you move the message to!
I'll see what I can do. The moved message problem bothers me too.

zooids's original script required MailTags. Most of the effort in the new scripts has involved trying to eliminate that dependency. I haven't yet figured out how to open arbitrary messages in Mail after they have been moved.

Maybe it would be best to just require MailTags?

Quote:
the ID your script generates for messages in Mail only holds true while they are in the same mailbox (folder) within Mail.
Yes. I just realized that. The "preview pane" script only works if the message is not moved. Close, but no cigar yet.
Quote:
you can now right-click on the links in the note attached to an Action in OmniFocus, and choose 'Open URL' to open the original message very easily in Mail.
Omni - could this have visual conformation of a link (defualt = underline and blue) and a regular click instead of a right click?

OK, here's a new version that will search all mailboxes if the linked message is not in the expected mailbox. The first time I ran this it was really slow, but subsequent times it was lightning fast. I don't claim to know why.

Also new in this version is the ability to run the Add OmniFocus Action script as part of a rule in Mail. This lets you automatically create actions for messages matched by the rule. Instructions are included in the zip file.

Download: the most recent version is available here

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-06-17 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Changed download link to point to my web page

This is great and I love it - one of the very first features I requested from Omni, and this certainly does the trick until they integrate something.

As an aside, I'm using the older version - the open in preview pane didn't work (dunno why), but opening it up in its own window works great, even if I have moved the mail. I use Mail Act-On to first run the script then I archive it. Fast and easy Mail inbox management.

For people that want slightly different functionality and are as script-challenged as I am, I noodled around about and ended up changing the set message_content line to now read:

set message_content to (content of selected_message)

Which dumps the body of the letter into the note field, which I really dig.

Thanks again!

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm probably using the new version of the script, unless you changed the DL link. Duh. But the rest of what I said stands.... :-)

Last edited by gofast; 2007-06-12 at 01:25 PM..

Here's version 0.3.1 that corrects a regression bug for nested local mailboxes.

Download: the most recent version is available here

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-06-17 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Changed download link to point to my web page

I've got this half right - I can flick an email to OmniFocus using this script incorporated into an Act On action - works superbly. But I can't figure the link back. For some reason I can't get the script menu to show in the menu bar of omniFocus. Am I missing something simple here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolie21
I've got this half right - I can flick an email to OmniFocus using this script incorporated into an Act On action - works superbly. But I can't figure the link back. For some reason I can't get the script menu to show in the menu bar of omniFocus. Am I missing something simple here?
Did you do this bit from the instructions:

Add the Scripts menu to your menu bar if you haven't already by opening the AppleScript Utility, located in /Applications/AppleScript/, and selecting the “Show Script Menu in menu bar” checkbox. The menu should appear on the right side of the menu bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
Did you do this bit from the instructions:

Add the Scripts menu to your menu bar if you haven't already by opening the AppleScript Utility, located in /Applications/AppleScript/, and selecting the “Show Script Menu in menu bar” checkbox. The menu should appear on the right side of the menu bar.
Yes, but for some reason the script menu doesn't appear in the omnifocus menu bar. It appears in finder, browsers, everywhere else, just not in OF...