The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Weaving OF and Mail Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered a number of times, and if all you want to do is point me to another thread, that's fine, too, but I have a few questions about using OF with Apple Mail and I thought it would be most efficient to ask them all in one spot.

I've seen some of the scripts and am using the "complete and await reply" script, which is very handy.

1. If you are using Apple Mail, how do you reconcile adding actions (like the need to respond to an email, or to set a reminder that you're waiting for an email) in OF? (If you're using another mail client and the answer is still applicable, by all means, please share.)

2. I tried the "Add mail rule" in OF's preferences but couldn't figure out how to make it work for an email I received. If Joe sends me an email that I need to respond to, what is the best/quickest/easiest way to enter that action into OF?

I'm fairly new to OF, but am very excited to be using it and have found it to be a great help already.

My next stop is to figure out Perspectives.

Last edited by mikegibb; 2010-08-13 at 10:54 AM..

I have two techniques for dealing with incoming email on which I need to act.

If I'm at my Mac, I use the OF Clip-o-tron to turn an incoming email into an OF action. (See OF help and the OF preferences' Clippings pane for more on the Clip-o-tron.)

If I'm on my iPad or iPhone, I forward the email to a separate gmail account that I've set up for just this purpose, using the +omnifocus suffix. That is, I forward the email to myincoming+omnifocus@gmail.com, where myincoming is the special account name. I have the OF mail rule configured to use the +omnifocus suffix and to only accept emails from my other email accounts. If you use this technique, it's important that only your Mac receives email from that account, since the mail rule won't run if some other client downloads the email first. Also, this approach requires that the Mac is on and Mail is running.

Although I wrote the Complete and Await Reply script, I don't actually use it much. I tend to just use quick entry to create a new "waiting for" task.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with Perspectives. They are incredibly useful!

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2010-08-13 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: added caveats

Thanks. I'm playing around with the clipping now and think that will be a big help. I love the idea of a separate email account to process the +omnifocus orders, but my Mac isn't always on. Does the Mac have to be on and Gmail have to be open for your solution to work?

Last edited by mikegibb; 2010-08-16 at 05:46 AM..

Yes, the Mail application has to be open for the email to be processed into OmniFocus actions. OmniFocus will be launched automatically when such an email arrives. Just to be clear, you have to have Apple's Mail application configured to fetch email from that account for the automatic processing to take place; you can read with any application you like, but only the Mail app will do the processing.