The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspective that sorts actions in projects by start date [A: See thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi-
I'd like to view all my actions (across all projects) by start date only. I tried doing this with Perspectives, but couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it's easy, so apologies in advance for the easy question, but this seems to elude me.

Example:
Client 1 projects
Client 2 projects
Client 3 projects

Goal --> I want to sort and view the tasks for all of these projects by the Start Date only.

Thanks!

Happy to help! Here's a view that shows you actions in their projects and sorted in that manner, but still lets you arrange items however you'd like to in Project mode.

View -> Context Mode
View -> Sidebar Filter -> All Contexts
View -> Grouping -> Project
View -> Sorting -> Start Date
View -> Status Filter -> Remaining

This approach will show actions in their projects and will show them sorted by due date without actually re-sorting them and breaking that project in the other view.

(For some projects, step 1 has to be finished for step 2 to start; an auto sort by due date in project view would break that sort of project.)

If this view does show what you're looking for, you can save it for further use by selecting
Perspectives -> Save window as -> New Perspective.

If that view doesn't do what you want, there may be another combination of settings that does. Let us know what you need done differently and we're happy to help.

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly, because I got a totally different read on it than Brian. You want a view showing the actions for those projects only, and it should be sorted by start date of the actions?

Assuming I've understood correctly, here's what I would do:

Go to Project view (cmd-1) and select only the projects you want included. Now click the Focus button. Switch to Context view (cmd-2), and set the view bar to All Contexts, Ungrouped, Sort by Start, Remaining, Any Status, Any Duration. Make sure the Start date column is shown, and the Project column too if you need to know which project the action belongs to. If the resulting view is what you are after, then save it as a perspective, making sure that the Restore Focus box is ticked. This is a view more useful for seeing what to do next, not so much for planning your work.

Many thanks for this :=)
Have been looking a lot to have actions sorted by start date.

// magnus