The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New "one window mode" is not what I want Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What I'd like to have—and what I got with the old hidden preference—is that I never get a new window. New tabs are absolutely ok, though, and in many cases, when the link defaults to a new window, replacing the current window content is not very good.

So, please give us a preference that never ever opens any new windows, but does open new tabs if the link says a new window should be opened.

I don't mean the bug; what I mean is actually what the old hidden pref was like.

In short words: Always do what the page tells OW to do, but whenever a new window is requested, open a new tab instead. That would be sufficient. Or what Handycam requested—best as an option to choose between these two: Open new tabs only for "_blank" links.

Can you give me an example where opening a 3rd party link in the current window is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Can you give me an example where opening a 3rd party link in the current window is bad?
Here's an example: on rojo.com, using the default settings, a click on an article name brings up a new window—whether you hold command or not. Changing "open links within the same website" to "same window" makes the page show up in the same window (because any article link is actually a link to a rojo hash, like rojo.com/article?=2342ndwfwoeij2), but as long as that is open, even holding down command makes it open in the same window. Thus, either opening in the same window or a different one, the only way to get it to open in a new tab is to drag the link to the tab bar. By contrast, in the old way, command-clicking the link made it open with a new tab, no questions asked.

In fact, in general, it would appear that if "open links to other sites" is set to "same window", then command-clicking to create a new tab doesn't work at all. I get the same result in wordie.org. Is that possibly correct?

Speaking as one of the ones who was complaining about ßs 1 and 2, let me say that the new checkbox totally satisfies me, too. And if it ever conflicts with any poorly-programmed pop-up that should actually spawn but doesnt—it's a site preference. Lovely.

How does the checkbox satisfy you if it cripples legit popups?

Yes, I'm currently using this and overriding by site on sites that use popups, but IMO this is a pain.

I can understand wanting to block extraneous windows (i.e. target-blank) but I don't understand wanting to force a tiny pop-up glossary window (for example) into an enormous, full-size window in another tab.

As long as the preference is added, even hidden as Troy says, to do what I would like to do, I'm happy. Even though I think the way Saft and Safaristand handle this issue is cleaner.

I agree with Handycam, here. I positively hate multiple browser windows, but small popups are ok. Now if they're forced into a new tab and thus have the size of the entire window, I can live with that. Just the old hidden preference, that's ok for me, and I'm glad I can do this again now.

I originally started this thread because I wanted to able to have everything in tabs again without everything being opened in the same tab/window.

It would be even nicer, though, if "_blank" targets could always be new tabs, and small popups would produce new windows.

Edit: An idea about UI integration: I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to put something like "_blank" into the UI preferences—many users won't know what that means, and as I haven't designed a web page for a very long time, I must admit that I didn't know about that target="_blank" stuff myself before it was mentioned in threads about this subject.

So maybe you could call this "Open only popups in new windows" or sth similar. Everyone knows what popups are, as opposed to target="_blank" links. :-)

And I do believe this should be part of the commonly accesible features, as it's a great one.

Last edited by zottel; 2006-12-19 at 12:46 PM..

Quote:
It would be even nicer, though, if "_blank" targets could always be new tabs, and small popups would produce new windows.
---------- :)