The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New "one window mode" is not what I want Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We're adding a check box that will place anything that opens in a new window (target="_blank" javascript whatever) in a new tab.

Sounds good. But target=_blank and a javascript:window.open() should not be lumped together IMHO.

The former is a typical web annoyance, but javascript:window.open() is usually for a good reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Sounds good. But target=_blank and a javascript:window.open() should not be lumped together IMHO.

The former is a typical web annoyance, but javascript:window.open() is usually for a good reason...
I concur .

Troy that sounds awesome, thanks so much!

I agree as well but I'm also not a person that wants single window browsing which is what we're trying to accomplish here. Only forcing target blank into a new window would still produce window litter with pop-ups.

You can still just use the From third-party sites setting (I think third-party links are the most common culprit of getting the target blank treatment).
This will be a site preference.
Setting up your command-click behavior to pop windows as a new tab will still work as well.

At the moment this seems like the best solution to the problem of course if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and we'll reconsider. I'm just trying to get as close as possible to making everyone happy :)

So is "allow javascript to reorder windows" and "allow javascript to resize windows" going to be automatically deselected with this? If not, there's not there's going to be a lot of issues.

I would really like to see a version of this feature that didn't apply to JS popups. For example, if I post a link to this forum in this forum it automatically gets a target="_blank" assigned. I would want such links to stay in the same window.

But if I click on the calendar icon at http://www.hotels.com/ I would want that to open in a new window. I certainly wouldn't want it to open in the same window and then resize the whole window to 160x170.

On a side note, I'm not sure how many email you guys got requesting a single window mode, but going by forum posts it seems like there's way more people having CPU and crashing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
So is "allow javascript to reorder windows" and "allow javascript to resize windows" going to be automatically deselected with this? If not, there's not there's going to be a lot of issues.
Resize doesn't work on a window that has multiple tabs or history. Reload does currently but probably should have rules of its own.

Quote:
I would really like to see a version of this feature that didn't apply to JS popups. For example, if I post a link to this forum in this forum it automatically gets a target="_blank" assigned. I would want such links to stay in the same window.

But if I click on the calendar icon at http://www.hotels.com/ I would want that to open in a new window. I certainly wouldn't want it to open in the same window and then resize the whole window to 160x170.
Fair enough.

Quote:
On a side note, I'm not sure how many email you guys got requesting a single window mode, but going by forum posts it seems like there's way more people having CPU and crashing issues.
Well of course I was referring to this feature specifically. We want you to crash and hang less too.

Quote:

Exactly. I sure hope this is the way it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Resize doesn't work on a window that has multiple tabs or history.
You sure about that? Or do you mean that's the plan?

It also removes the status bar, location bar, nav bar... for all of the other tabs in that window.

Quote:
Well of course I was referring to this feature specifically. We want you to crash and hang less too.
Yeah, I just find it irritating that an new feature requested by seemingly few is being implemented before a performance/crashing issue reported by many is fixed.

Last edited by Forrest; 2006-12-12 at 10:57 AM..

Quote:
Yeah, I just find it irritating that an new feature requested by seemingly few is being implemented before a performance/crashing issue reported by many is fixed.
Since the forums started (and long before that too), it seems to me that there have been a fairly significant number of requests for new windows not to be created when clicking links - how many threads have there been where target="_blank" has come up? That isn't to say that there haven't been lots on performance issues either, but...