The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2! The Debut. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks for your thoughts whpalmer4.
With the new column-less paradigm of OF2, it seems to me that it would be better if the smaller font line should give the Context when viewing Projects and the Project when viewing in Contexts.
Anyone else have a view on this?

Totally agree with WatchIt, no point in have the same data twice in the same view. Put the project there.

BZ

I agree with watchit and BwanaZulia. Having the Context when viewing Projects and the Project when viewing in Contexts would be immensely helpful. I have a lot of Context perspectives and it would be great to see what project the Next Action belongs to.

Sorry for the confusion! For the time being, don't read too much into the screenshots or slides from the Debut event - the text in question is placeholder info. We don't intend to show the context in that location when we ship the app for real.

Please... please... PLEASE... say that the final version will include the count in each view that I see in the screenshots. It has been on my wish list for years.

Why you ask? Because the number of projects in a folder is good indicator of how much work load there is in the that folder (Area of Focus). I like to keep each folder (Area of Focus) to under 20 current projects and total current project count to under 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm... just going to put... this link down... right heeeeeeere... and back away... slowly. ;-)

Executive summary: our best guess right now is March-ish for the beta. Repeat: March-ISH. Which doesn't mean March 1, or March 31, or even rule out the possibility that we'll slip into April... though we'll certainly try not to!
Has this 'best guess' for the beta become any more specific yet? Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
Thanks for checking in with us. When OmniFocus 2 enters an open beta, sometime after the debut event on January 31st, customers that purchase version 1 will get a free upgrade to OmniFocus 2. Customers that purchase the app before that point will receive a discount on the upgrade.
Omni Group's pricing model needs adjustment for modern times. Purchasing all three apps means loyal users have poured more than $100 into the OmniFocus system. (Not to mention the other Omni apps we've bought.) The price to upgrade needs to be practically zero, if not zero. That's the norm for Mom and Pop developers in 2013.

If Omni Group can't support that model, maybe 50 employees is too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomoj View Post
Omni Group's pricing model needs adjustment for modern times. Purchasing all three apps means loyal users have poured more than $100 into the OmniFocus system. (Not to mention the other Omni apps we've bought.) The price to upgrade needs to be practically zero, if not zero. That's the norm for Mom and Pop developers in 2013.

They aren't Mom & Pop developers. If you don't believe the upgrade offers sufficient value, don't buy it. Frankly, given how often they do paid upgrades, if you weren't able to get your money's worth out of the first version, either you are very late to the party (whose fault is that?), or there was no real need to buy it in the first place. It's not like the Omni Group has ever had some sort of monopoly on task management apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomoj View Post

Buying OmniFocus for all three platforms has paid itself ten times over in helping me with my job and my personal life.

If you think OmniFocus is not worth the price then don't come and play. There are many other alternatives for you.

The hard part about the iTunes store is that it adjusted everyone's expectations that we should pay no more than five bucks for game or productivity apps nowadays.

Let's look at the Mac App solutions since this is the most expensive part of the equation:

Things $24.99
The Hit List $49.95 plus monthly subscription for syncing
2Do $29.99
TaskPaper $29.99
FireTask $39.99
OmniFocus 1 and OmniFocus 2 Pro $79.99 (upgrade at 50% off for approximately $40)

OmniFocus 2 standard $39.99 (upgrade at 50% for approximately $20)

Now it can be argued that OmniFocus is expensive compared to the others but OF1 and OF2 Pro is targeting a different market segment who needs more then just a task list. OmniFocus 2 standard will bring itself in line with the other task managers at $39.99 and is targeting folks who have never used higher end features such as Applescripting and custom perspectives.

If you bought OF1 before January 31 (I believe that's the cutoff date?), you'll get a substantial discount for purchasing an upgrade.

If you think that adding on the iPhone and iPad version makes it too expensive, then you have no need to buy them anyways!

The iPad and iPhone versions won't need upgrading and will work seamlessly with OF1 and OF2. So there is no immediate upgrade cost for you if you already bought them.

Your OF1 will still be functional and is still a worthwhile purchase.

It sounds to me that you didn't get your money's worth. There are plenty of other task managers that would offer the right amount of features and price for you.

But everyone talks about wanting to get their money's worth. When I check the blogs and podcasts, it seems that there are a lot of folks who have definitely gotten their money's worth and more. It takes a bit of investment in time and money to get it going. There is no magic bullet - even with the other task managers.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2013-03-03 at 02:23 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
$79.99
Except it's actually OF1 for $80 + upgrade for $40 = $120 for just the Mac app.