The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best way to export OmniOutliner files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm with the previous about my being forced to use Word outlining more than I would like to. I do 90% of original outlining work in OO. However, when I export the outline to Word, I just get a flat, single column with no outline structuring whatsoever--not even the tab structure I get when I export to RTF or text. Is this the way it was designed? Frankly, that was the sole reason I had upgraded to the Pro version.
Ideally, I would like the export to map onto Word header styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorph View Post
I just get a flat, single column with no outline structuring whatsoever
In MS Word you need to manually switch to the outline view. (View > Outline).

This is not necessary after an exporting with the MS Word (HTML) option (which does map the header styles), but is required after a Word 2007 (docx) export, which preserves outline structure, but writes the style of the headers as "Normal"

Arguably two bugs - it would be better to save/export the file with Outline View switched on, to avoid the confusion which you describe, and using the header level styles might well seem more helpful than writing out all paras as "Normal", though I can also see that some might prefer this.

Worth reporting your preferences through 003 Help > Send Feedback.

Thanks! That was the trick and I feel like an idiot for not having done the switch earlier. It still requires manually changing the header styles but it does go a long way toward making the migration easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorph View Post
Thanks! That was the trick and I feel like an idiot for not having done the switch earlier. It still requires manually changing the header styles but it does go a long way toward making the migration easier.
The docx exporter will convert your "all level [x]" styles to header styles. However I just noticed if you don't have a style set it all ends up using the Normal style. I can not recall if I had any logical reasoning for that, I'll have to look at the code again. Is this what your issue is - Everything has the Normal style because you don't have any row styles set in OmniOutliner?

Derek:
That's correct. All of the items are saved in "Normal" style. Ideally I think I would prefer to be able to limit the number of Header styles that are adopted, leaving the remainder of the children in Normal mode. For example, if I could set the limit to 3, then the first three levels of the outline would be converted to Headers 1 through 3 and the rest would stay as Normal.